+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can gobies hide for?

On Tuesday I had the lid off my 13g tank to change out a powerhead. I haven’t seen my Goby (a type of Highfin) since.

He is paired with a candy cane pistol shrimp but spends alot of time outside the immediate area of the shrimp checking other stuff out.

well he did. I haven’t seen him in a week.

I heard the pistol shrimp clicking a day or so ago, so he’s still alive, but since the goby vanished the shrimp doesn’t come out.

Chemical levels are all in check as far as my testing goes (Hanna for Nitrate, Phos, Alk, then pH and temp on probes), there is some algae growth on the sand bed, even a little cyano starting which I am working to rectify (started after I disturbed the sand bed, but this was weeks ago and the shrimp and goby have been happy since). No recent spikes in ammonia or Nitrite to suggest a decaying fish

I’m wondering if the goby jumped when I wasn’t looking. But I have found no evidence of this and nothing smells dead outside the tank. I must admit the coral banded shrimp looks unusually pleased with himself….

if he is hiding, anything I can do to temp him out?

If he is gone, what can I get to pair with a candy cane?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

On Tuesday I had the lid off my 13g tank to change out a powerhead. I haven’t seen my Goby (a type of Highfin) since.

He is paired with a candy cane pistol shrimp but spends alot of time outside the immediate area of the shrimp checking other stuff out.

I heard the pistol shrimp clicking a day or so ago, so he’s still alive, but since the goby vanished the shrimp doesn’t come out.

Chemical levels are all in check as far as my testing goes (Hanna for Nitrate, Phos, Alk, then pH and temp on probes), there is some algae growth on the sand bed, even a little cyano starting which I am working to rectify (started after I disturbed the sand bed, but this was weeks ago and the shrimp and goby have been happy since). No recent spikes in ammonia or Nitrite to suggest a decaying fish

I’m wondering if the goby jumped when I wasn’t looking. But I have found no evidence of this and nothing smells dead outside the tank. I must admit the coral banded shrimp looks unusually pleased with himself….

He May only come up when your not there walk away maybe set up a camera

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my recent tank leak and having to move everything around our Goby was MIA for over a week, could hear the shrimp but no appearance from the Goby. I can occasionally see him now but he is not acting like his normal 'come out and play' self, almost like he is sulking. I think you just give them time. I also have not seen him eat in over a week, I think he is okay but I think patience is the best thing here.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is your current goby?
I’ve had gobies that have been thriving and are incredibly happy, hide for a week or so and then come back out after a major change.
Nothing can really be done when it comes to tempting them out other than patience. For the Candy Cane Pistol you can pair them with several gobies. Most species from these genera will be happy to pair with them;
Amblyeleotris
Stonogobiops
Cryptocentrus

Just don’t pair anything with him until you know for sure you don’t have your current goby.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
bratfink

bratfink

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the other thread about a Yasha goby hiding for 6 weeks.

looking at the image in the thread I think mine is a Yasha too.

interestingly the OP in that thread mentioned a Royal Gramma went after him in the QT. I also have a Royal Gramma, I had seen the RG chasing the Goby off a few places but I wonder if they got into it in a big way when I wasn’t looking and the Goby is sulking somewhere.

World Wide Corals
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back