Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I’ve posted but I’m back and ready for my first scape! I was watching that BRS video on building their NSA and they started talking about the glue accelerator, which they referred to as “just acetone”.

Now, my question is this — does anyone know if I can use acetone based nail polish remover (I don’t believe you can buy straight acetone, I know I’ve looked into it years ago) as a DIY type of accelerator? If not, what is a reef safe alternative accelerator that I can get in a normal store like Walmart/Target/Lowe’s/Home Depot? Nothing online please, I’m already aware of the online options and that’s not what I’m looking for. :)

I already have everything else I need, this is the only and last concern I have — getting the accelerator and I’m not looking to order it and wait a week+ lol.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

CLICK TO VIEW

Woodyman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Woodyman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I’ve posted but I’m back and ready for my first scape! I was watching that BRS video on building their NSA and they started talking about the glue accelerator, which they referred to as “just acetone”.

Now, my question is this — does anyone know if I can use acetone based nail polish remover (I don’t believe you can buy straight acetone, I know I’ve looked into it years ago) as a DIY type of accelerator? If not, what is a reef safe alternative accelerator that I can get in a normal store like Walmart/Target/Lowe’s/Home Depot? Nothing online please, I’m already aware of the online options and that’s not what I’m looking for. :)

I already have everything else I need, this is the only and last concern I have — getting the accelerator and I’m not looking to order it and wait a week+ lol.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

Nail polish remover acetone will work just make sure it doesn't have anything added like aloe or moisturizers.

Pure acetone can be bought typically at home improvement stores.

I used 50/50 acetone/RODI water with the baking soda and also 75/25 acetone/RODI water. When I made mine, both worked.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my NSA, I used baking soda and thin CA glue. Simply place the pieces together, add some baking soda and then a shot of glue. Repeat as necessary to achieve a solid bond. You will likely have to flip the piece over to get to the underside. Once you have it fully bonded, a coat of powdered rock dust and CA glue will give you a finished look that matches and looks seamless.

The fumes from this are quite harsh. a fan nearby or a respirator will help. Also be sure to wear rubber gloves or you will spend the next few days picking glue and rock dust off your fingers.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 @Woodyman
Thank you both! I’ll definitely get started then since I can use the pure acetone. I thought for some reason I couldn’t get it in the 100% form but I don’t remember why lol I think I read it somewhere like 7 or 8 years ago lol. I got the gel gorilla glue I kept seeing on reef forums and then this other epoxy, the Instant Ocean HoldFast green tube. It says to use in a very well ventilated area but I’m probably gonna have to do it inside with my windows open since it’s about to rain and I won’t be able to go outside on my porch lol. Hopefully vinyl medical-type gloves work, cuz that’s all I have lol

BRS

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 @Woodyman
Thank you both! I’ll definitely get started then since I can use the pure acetone. I thought for some reason I couldn’t get it in the 100% form but I don’t remember why lol I think I read it somewhere like 7 or 8 years ago lol. I got the gel gorilla glue I kept seeing on reef forums and then this other epoxy, the Instant Ocean HoldFast green tube. It says to use in a very well ventilated area but I’m probably gonna have to do it inside with my windows open since it’s about to rain and I won’t be able to go outside on my porch lol. Hopefully vinyl medical-type gloves work, cuz that’s all I have lol
Shel, since you already have the gel type glue, get the acetone and a $0,99 spray bottle from Walmart. Check in the section where they have the small travel size items. Don't use the baking soda in this application. The gel and acetone will do the job.

The benefit of the baking soda/ thin CA glue method is the bond is almost instant and does not require additional accelerator.

Basic disposable rubber (or vinyl) gloves are fine.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shel, since you already have the gel type glue, get the acetone and a $0,99 spray bottle from Walmart. Check in the section where they have the small travel size items. Don't use the baking soda in this application. The gel and acetone will do the job.

The benefit of the baking soda/ thin CA glue method is the bond is almost instant and does not require additional accelerator.

Basic disposable rubber (or vinyl) gloves are fine.
Thank you!!!
I didnt know that’s the purpose of the baking soda but good to know!
I was reading the bottle and it says it’s 100% acetone but the ingredients also list Denatonium Benzoate (also known by the “brand” Bitrex). I was reading about it, but can’t find any info on whether it’s safe to use or not. Its the most bitter compound there is, which is used in various products, but I don’t know if it’s safe. I’m gonna try to find acetone without it, but it’s in most things to also prevent ingestion and to (if I understand correctly) neutralize the alcoholic properties of the acetone so it’s not injested to get people drunk who are not of legal drinking age. I’m sure there’s other uses but that’s what I got from it lol.

I’ll continue looking for acetone-only products but I’m not sure I will find it since Bitrex has a pretty important purpose lol.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last add on lol — could I just add baking soda to the gorila glue gel to replace the need for acetone? Because I’m not sure if the pure acetone will dissolve the glue as I spray it and I’m not sure if the Bitrex contained in every 100% nail polish remover I see is reef safe.

I’m def struggling with this lol

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shel,
take a look at this video. This explains the baking soda method. He uses rock powder for the full joint, but I found baking soda is stronger.

Thank you!! I’m watching it now but wanted to reply real quick. I do like this method but I’m worried about the time consuming aspect of it, versus a few small sprays of acetone. Do you think the Bitrex adds any hazard? I can’t be the only one to have used the acetone containing Bitrex, there’s just no way.

Avast

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I’m watching it now but wanted to reply real quick. I do like this method but I’m worried about the time consuming aspect of it, versus a few small sprays of acetone. Do you think the Bitrex adds any hazard? I can’t be the only one to have used the acetone containing Bitrex, there’s just no way.

Shel,

I built the NSA for my 55 in less than 5 hours using this method. Honestly, it took longer to figure out what pieces went where than it took to actually glue them together. For your 16g, you should have a very nice piece done in no time. No worries about foul chemicals.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shel,

I built the NSA for my 55 in less than 5 hours using this method. Honestly, it took longer to figure out what pieces went where than it took to actually glue them together. For your 16g, you should have a very nice piece done in no time. No worries about foul chemicals.
Okay so I’ll do it that way then, because I’m too worried about the bitrex lol. So can I use the baking soda method with the gel glue I have?
like, baking soda on the rock with some gel glue and then once it’s all done being scaped I can go back with my epoxy on all the seams, let it dry and then add glue with the dust and broken rock pieces for aesthetics?? Does that sound right? Do I need to spray the rock with water before I put the glue/baking soda or can I just directly place it on there? OR do I need to put the glue first and then add baking soda to it?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ll do it that way then, because I’m too worried about the bitrex lol. So can I use the baking soda method with the gel glue I have?
like, baking soda on the rock with some gel glue and then once it’s all done being scaped I can go back with my epoxy on all the seams, let it dry and then add glue with the dust and broken rock pieces for aesthetics?? Does that sound right? Do I need to spray the rock with water before I put the glue/baking soda or can I just directly place it on there? OR do I need to put the glue first and then add baking soda to it?

Did you get my text? Check your phone hun :)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back