Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m waiting on the new tank, figured I might as well get ahead of the game. I had a spare brute can sitting there, so why not break in the skimmer.

9C9BC49D-C308-4FDF-98A1-E1CD6D984ACD.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should be here in a couple weeks, nothing else to report other than an upgrade to the mixing station.
I originally ordered an RV hose that was 1/2". that wasn't flowing the water fast enough for me, so I upgraded to 1" flexible PVC. This should flow more water.

new hose.jpg

Attachments

• old hose.jpg
    old hose.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while on updates, I won't get into specifics, but plans have improved.
The original plan was to move my old 110 gallon into the new GlassCages tank, then I was going to turn the 110 into a Fowlr tank and leave my corals I didn't want in the new tank, IE xenia, gsp, palys, you know the stuff that would grow in a toilet, and add some color to the Fowlr. After the new tank arrived, my wife made the comment, that it would look much better if we had matching tanks. Sooooo, i have ordered a sister tank from GlassCages to match the new tank. I haven't started on the new tank plumbing yet, but will start updating this thread once I get going. Here is a pic of the new tank, and the old tank where the sister tank will be going.

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180 (technically a 171, but i rounded up) is here, now to start building.

I bought some exercise equipment mat to put in the bottom of the stand, I don't want water getting on the bottom of the stand when I get sloppy in the sump.

IMG_3777.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing complete, time to water test it. I cheated and used some flexible pvc. I was going to hard pipe it, but with the amount of joints to get everything lined up, I’d just use some flex, and less places to potentially leak.
5C693D84-2E03-44C2-B476-3ADED9A44E46.jpeg
23CC24EE-1AC2-4F24-AC70-7103F22E00BA.jpeg
82D0CA57-05A6-4F07-9BAC-DC47BB031CC1.jpeg
45E62550-F8E2-4894-BF18-2B34B6A12BDA.jpeg

World Wide Corals

Stevorino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this looks ******* awesome!

Good for you, man - This whole build is fun. Love the aquascaping here - that arch already looks cool and will look stunning with corals.

I just saw this build and read the whole thing. 2 questions/thoughts for you:

1) I have had VERY similar water reserve tanks for ~5 years. They are awesome. Our plumbing plans are very similar as well (Your wife's overall support and graphics are amazing).

I am currently re-doing my sump area as part of a bigger build, and one of the things I am focusing on is reinforcing the PVC pipe structure coming out of the reserve tank outlets. I don't think it has to be much, but over time you can tell the weight of pipes/water have weighed down and there's a noticeable 'droop' going on. Even a small rod or inconspicuous piece of wood under the structure would go a long way based on my experience.

They are great reserves - you will love having those.

2) Where'd you get that PVC flex pipe? That stuff looks great.

Great job man - I hope you are proud of yourself - it looks fantastic. I'll be following along!

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this looks ******* awesome!

Good for you, man - This whole build is fun. Love the aquascaping here - that arch already looks cool and will look stunning with corals.

I just saw this build and read the whole thing. 2 questions/thoughts for you:

1) I have had VERY similar water reserve tanks for ~5 years. They are awesome. Our plumbing plans are very similar as well (Your wife's overall support and graphics are amazing).

I am currently re-doing my sump area as part of a bigger build, and one of the things I am focusing on is reinforcing the PVC pipe structure coming out of the reserve tank outlets. I don't think it has to be much, but over time you can tell the weight of pipes/water have weighed down and there's a noticeable 'droop' going on. Even a small rod or inconspicuous piece of wood under the structure would go a long way based on my experience.

They are great reserves - you will love having those.

2) Where'd you get that PVC flex pipe? That stuff looks great.

Great job man - I hope you are proud of yourself - it looks fantastic. I'll be following along!
Thanks for the kind words.
I do need to get something to support those pipes, it’s on my list. I was going to fab something up, but got caught up in these tank builds.

The flex pipe on the tank, I picked up at my LFS, the stuff on my water tank hose, I ordered off Amazon.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Neptune
Back