Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, but my company gave me a nice secondhand a6300. This is my first step into "fancy" cameras. Really excited to start taking some awesome shots of my fish. I'm slowly going through the sticky's under photography but was curious if anyone out there is using the 6300? If so, what are your thoughts on it and do you have any suggestions for someone just starting out with the camera and looking to take aquarium shots?

Kermit The Frog Smile GIF by Muppet Wiki

AS

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, but my company gave me a nice secondhand a6300. This is my first step into "fancy" cameras. Really excited to start taking some awesome shots of my fish. I'm slowly going through the sticky's under photography but was curious if anyone out there is using the 6300? If so, what are your thoughts on it and do you have any suggestions for someone just starting out with the camera and looking to take aquarium shots?

Kermit The Frog Smile GIF by Muppet Wiki
Never used a sony camera, but I’ve heard they are great. There’s a few people on here that have used sony cameras to take photos and the photos turn out good. I would get one of those orange filter lens caps to go over your lens to block out some of the blue lighting. Best of luck with the new camera though!!!!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot with a a6000 and it was my first real camera. Great camera and you can get a lot done with just the stock lens. Orphek 55mm filter lenses fit perfectly over the lens and are a great buy. I would also get a tripod. You can set a custom wb that way you don't need to do any post processing.

World Wide Corals

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, I recently purchased a Sony A7 II after being out of the hobby for a long time. When I left a full frame mirrorless camera was too expensive for a hobbyist. I started shooting with Minolta then Sony took over. I tried Canon and Nikon but my learned muscle memory was trained for the Sony / Minolta controls so I didn't really adapt well. Probably an old guy thing. I shoot raw+jpeg and post process the raw files has been my choice. In camera jpegs are not bad on Sony and work very well for "normal" shots out doors and under normal lighting but under aquarium lighting not so much. I find it easier to adjust white balance in post processing vs using filters. If possible us a tripod and turn off all flow when taking shots of tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot with a a6000 and it was my first real camera. Great camera and you can get a lot done with just the stock lens. Orphek 55mm filter lenses fit perfectly over the lens and are a great buy. I would also get a tripod. You can set a custom wb that way you don't need to do any post processing.

Have you tried any macro lenses with your a6000?

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, I recently purchased a Sony A7 II after being out of the hobby for a long time. When I left a full frame mirrorless camera was too expensive for a hobbyist. I started shooting with Minolta then Sony took over. I tried Canon and Nikon but my learned muscle memory was trained for the Sony / Minolta controls so I didn't really adapt well. Probably an old guy thing. I shoot raw+jpeg and post process the raw files has been my choice. In camera jpegs are not bad on Sony and work very well for "normal" shots out doors and under normal lighting but under aquarium lighting not so much. I find it easier to adjust white balance in post processing vs using filters. If possible us a tripod and turn off all flow when taking shots of tank inhabitants.

I've been watching some youtube video's on my camera and I can see why people stick with one brand. So much to learn about this camera. I have started shooting in Raw+jpg. Also started working in lightroom. I've always wanted to learn photoshop so now's my opportunity.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back