Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled my new coral (from LFS) out of the bag and there is a giant planaria flat worm on it! Kinda icked out right now :( It was very big, I don't know how I didn't notice it before!

Coral is a GSP, I got two other corals from different tanks. I just dipped all of them in coral RX for 10 minutes and it's not on the coral anymore.

What do I do?? I really want to keep the corals but I don't know what the best decision is here.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just pulled my new coral (from LFS) out of the bag and there is a giant planaria flat worm on it! Kinda icked out right now :( It was very big, I don't know how I didn't notice it before!

Coral is a GSP, I got two other corals from different tanks. I just dipped all of them in coral RX for 10 minutes and it's not on the coral anymore.

What do I do?? I really want to keep the corals but I don't know what the best decision is here.
Please post a pic of flatworm to identify it is indeed planaria . Polyclad generally on GSP and neither would do much harm to GSP but will lay eggs if fertile and cause issues

OP
OP
H

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah :( It has eggs on it, I can scrape the eggs off or just toss the coral. I haven't decided. I need a QT tank for sure, sadly the extra I had I'm using for my white tail (just recently came in and under observation).
Please post a pic of flatworm to identify it is indeed planaria . Polyclad generally on GSP and neither would do much harm to GSP but will lay eggs if fertile and cause issues
I wish I got a pic, I threw that thing in the dip I was so freaked out. It definitely looked like a polyclad, like giant and spread across the diameter of the GSP. Brown body. Like 1/4th an inch wide or 1/3rd an inch. I can take pics of the eggs on it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah :( It has eggs on it, I can scrape the eggs off or just toss the coral. I haven't decided. I need a QT tank for sure, sadly the extra I had I'm using for my white tail (just recently came in and under observation).

I wish I got a pic, I threw that thing in the dip I was so freaked out. It definitely looked like a polyclad, like giant and spread across the diameter of the GSP. Brown body. Like 1/4th an inch wide or 1/3rd an inch. I can take pics of the eggs on it.
Scraping off should work

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
H

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my next fish is def gonna be a wrasse :( I'm like so terrified of these tiny worms I don't know why.

I found some more worms in the salt water rinse post-dipping. So I scraped off the eggs and threw it in the dip to sit for another 10 minutes.

Should I premptively flat worm exit my tank??

OP
OP
H

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gsp ,throw the gsp out lol and ask someone for a free frag
You're probably right, but I've cleaned it off and checked it over like crazy, not on a rock so I could really get under it. It's clean now for sure, more worried about the more expensive corals that I got out of different tanks tbh. If they have it in one tank it's likely in all of them :(

Last edited:
AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back