Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling for couple months now, I just purchased tuxedo urchin and emerald crab for my 40 gallon two weeks. The tuxedo urchin is doing great on the rockscape and the emerald crab is picky. What are my other natural resources to rid these nuisance gha and bubble?

B83530DC-7C29-4100-A7FF-DE4710650FE4.jpeg
65EAC4DE-9A15-4728-95B0-84F27EE8D4AD.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbo snail. Just finished commenting in another thread about my sons GHA that was a huge patch and within a few weeks after adding the snail it was gone and stayed gone. As for the sand bed….a sand sifting invert, like a pistol shrimp (be warned, they’ll steal anything that’s not glued down) or a conch would be beneficial.

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in another thread that a good way to prevent GHA is to encourage the growth of coralline algae on the rock. I know that years ago when I had my first saltwater tank and didn't really know what I was doing, I started dosing kalkwasser nearly right after setup, and I never had much of a problem with GHA. I guess the coralline algae prevents the GHA from getting a foothold on the rock?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Filipino Reefer

Filipino Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in another thread that a good way to prevent GHA is to encourage the growth of coralline algae on the rock. I know that years ago when I had my first saltwater tank and didn't really know what I was doing, I started dosing kalkwasser nearly right after setup, and I never had much of a problem with GHA. I guess the coralline algae prevents the GHA from getting a foothold on the rock?
I have Kalk now. Let's see how it goes. For now I'm just using toothbrush and water change. Since I'm off for a moment I'm planning to do more frequent water changes like every other day...so I brush off the rocks and do water change while siphoning the sanded. Yesterday i cleaned the sump as well .

OP
OP
Filipino Reefer

Filipino Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your manual removal plan sounds like a good place to start.

How are you fixed for CUC beyond the urchin? 3 or 4 Nassarius snails would be good sand turners for a tank that size.
2 snails ... forgot the name...1 tuxedo urchin 1 emerald crab...

AquaCave Logo Banner

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion you should fortify your CUC a bit...

I would mix and match some more snails like Nassarius, Astrea, Trochus, Cerith and maybe a small Turbo or two. About 10 total would be a place to start. Hermit crabs are a more controversial choice, I have some, but many others would say no, do your research,.

Top Shelf Aquatics

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touching base here, I borrowed my sons turbo snail for my GHA problem and he’s doing a fantastic job of tearing up the GHA. Seeing parts of my tank that I hadn’t seen in a while due to being over taken by GHA. Manual removal was getting old.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back