Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've faced this before and quite honestly didn't exactly pin down the problem. Basically I am getting a brown diatom on my sandbed and it's actually becoming somewhat solid in places. Alk=8.0, Cal=420, and Mag=usually at 1350. I don't overfeed (feed the fish not the tank) but I do feed corals about 1-2 week with Reef Chile. I also add SeaChem Reef Trace and Reef Plus. 30 gallon water changes weekly on a 120. I know that might be a bit much but has been working well for a long time.

So I've been using Phosguard in a media reactor as I was told early on that it would last a good amount of time until my levels started going up. Recently I'm hearing that it is really a short term fix for a few days maybe a week and then get rid of it. My LFS convinced me to go back to GFO. Honestly I always hated the mess of GFO. That's been the only change in routine and now I am getting the brown diatom and solidifying of the sandbed.

Could this really be the issue? I know tons of folks who run GFO very successfully.

I also remember being told that the brown and the solidifying sand could be a chemical and parameters issue. Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is common, but also difficult to determine the 'why' for each case. For my particular reef aquarium, I had this issue for around 8-9 months even though I keep a clean tank so it was a bit of a mystery. I manipulated a number of parameters over time, but the issue just wouldn't go away. However, when I gradually reduced the red wavelengths (reduced 'white' and 'red' channels) in my LED array I started to see improvement. Within a few short weeks the sand bed cleared up completely and has stayed that way ever since. Something to consider...

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been using Phosguard in a media reactor as I was told early on that it would last a good amount of time until my levels started going up. Recently I'm hearing that it is really a short term fix for a few days maybe a week and then get rid of it. My LFS convinced me to go back to GFO. Honestly I always hated the mess of GFO. That's been the only change in routine and now I am getting the brown diatom and solidifying of the sandbed.

Any phosphate/silicate binder will last a long time when levels are low, and deplete fast when levels are high.

Are you sure it is diatoms and not cyano or other pest?

Tap water is a prime source of silicate. Do you use tap water?

BRS
OP
OP
SpikeWire

SpikeWire

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be 100% sure but I am pretty sure it's not cyno. I have a BRS 6 stage RO/DI and the resin (color changing) is less than halfway depleted and I get 0 for TDS. What is the best way to diagnose what it could be. Diatoms, brown algae, cyno,dinos etc?

wyattray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be 100% sure but I am pretty sure it's not cyno. I have a BRS 6 stage RO/DI and the resin (color changing) is less than halfway depleted and I get 0 for TDS. What is the best way to diagnose what it could be. Diatoms, brown algae, cyno,dinos etc?

Get a microscope.

Avast

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we love pictures.

OP
OP
SpikeWire

SpikeWire

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know and I'm sorry I should have had those in the beginning. The problem is clearing itself up now. I did turn down the red to about 5% peak time and slightly lowered white as well. Also I think the GFO has finally kicked in. I had just switched from Phosgard to GFO not know Phosgard was such a short term solution. I nudged up the flow just a spec. These two things seem to slowly be helping. Mucho thanks to Nano and Randy.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know and I'm sorry I should have had those in the beginning. The problem is clearing itself up now. I did turn down the red to about 5% peak time and slightly lowered white as well. Also I think the GFO has finally kicked in. I had just switched from Phosgard to GFO not know Phosgard was such a short term solution. I nudged up the flow just a spec. These two things seem to slowly be helping. Mucho thanks to Nano and Randy.
Congrats!

I'm not a fan of Phosgard, but I am a GFO junkie / tumbling in it's own reactor. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!

I'm not a fan of Phosgard, but I am a GFO junkie / tumbling in it's own reactor. :)

Thanks bud. I like gfo as well but no matter how neat I try to be it's always a mess [emoji16]
I like my GFO too. The bottle is now six years old.;Troll

Avast

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one tank yes. The other Im just kind of winging it.
If only I had the room for one... :(

Thankfully I found a method so that I have no need to carbon dose anymore but I'd love to be able to run a natural refugium.

Corals.com

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to hear!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered Continuum Aquatics Bacter Clean-M. Seems like it is great for any kind of algae. You might want to try it. $13 bucks is a lot cheaper than buying a reactor and gfo or dealing with it which you don't particularly care to do.
Fighting conch was great when I had diatoms.

OP
OP
SpikeWire

SpikeWire

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I actually have two conches and they do a nice job. I already have the reactor but was running Phosgard. Worked great but seems a shorter term solution. Switched to gfo so hopefully some slow adjustments will keep it on the right track.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered Continuum Aquatics Bacter Clean-M. Seems like it is great for any kind of algae.

Seems like that's the claim. lol

Let us know what you actually experience. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back