Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of different Euphyllias and I seem to get good polyp extension on some but not others, the torches are getting good extension but the frogspawn and hammers do not. Is there a trick to getting this or am I missing something?

Tank is a 66g, I have 2 gyre xf 330, I have them set around 20% on the back wall with flow going across the top hitting the front glass, Euphyllia are in the front area between rocks. Lighting is hybrid LED T5 setup, par for them is around the 150 range. Parameter for water are all in the right area.

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H2Ocooled

H2Ocooled

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try moving them to a new location.
I would prefer to not move the corals around my thought is to move the gyres to another location but I was hoping to narrow this down to an issue with flow or lighting first.

Do people get good polyp extension in high flow or not?

Corals.com

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably less flow. I've found in higher flow my frogspawns and hammers will be more compact however the torches appreciate stronger flow

IMO moving the coral would be better. Changing the flow in the entire tank may upset something else instead.

OP
OP
H2Ocooled

H2Ocooled

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably less flow. I've found in higher flow my frogspawns and hammers will be more compact however the torches appreciate stronger flow

IMO moving the coral would be better. Changing the flow in the entire tank may upset something else instead.

Good point, I will have to see what I can do. Thanks!

OP
OP
H2Ocooled

H2Ocooled

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Torches and Hammers love strong flow, my frogspawn prefers nearly no flow. I think it depends in each piece.
Yeah thats what I'm seeing too, my frogspawn barely gets any extension but the wall hammer does better and the flow is about the same. I was really hoping to keep them all together in one area but that does not sound like its going to work.

SVP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of different Euphyllias and I seem to get good polyp extension on some but not others, the torches are getting good extension but the frogspawn and hammers do not. Is there a trick to getting this or am I missing something?

Tank is a 66g, I have 2 gyre xf 330, I have them set around 20% on the back wall with flow going across the top hitting the front glass, Euphyllia are in the front area between rocks. Lighting is hybrid LED T5 setup, par for them is around the 150 range. Parameter for water are all in the right area.

Thanks!
Personally I dont care about looks(long, stringy) when it comes to my torches. All I care about is nutrients being brought to my hammers, frogs, torches in a way that they can actually capture what little they need. Not being blown by them at Mach1(while Euphyllia derive the majority of their needs through photosynthesis around 80-85% they still need to get other crucial/beneficial nutrients). And waste being carried away from them as well. My corals poop, and with my aggressive feeding regimen they do it a lot. I like a soft pulsing flow just like the reef in nature. Not where the waves break but deeper water where it ebbs and flows. If you have ever scuba dived(the ocean moves you back and forth somewhat gently depending on a lot of variables)then that's the way I want my Euphyllia to be. I don't care for a lot of the powerheads on the market. There are 2 that imho are the best. I run an 8 bulb T5 with 2 XHOS and trying to configure a way to add 3 hydra 26 HD sitting here collecting dust without losing any of my 8 bulbs. I'm getting insane growth (want to add hydras for better colors) with the lights and my alkatronic keeping my alk extremely stable.

OP
OP
H2Ocooled

H2Ocooled

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I dont care about looks(long, stringy) when it comes to my torches. All I care about is nutrients being brought to my hammers, frogs, torches in a way that they can actually capture what little they need. Not being blown by them at Mach1(while Euphyllia derive the majority of their needs through photosynthesis around 80-85% they still need to get other crucial/beneficial nutrients). And waste being carried away from them as well. My corals poop, and with my aggressive feeding regimen they do it a lot. I like a soft pulsing flow just like the reef in nature. Not where the waves break but deeper water where it ebbs and flows. If you have ever scuba dived(the ocean moves you back and forth somewhat gently depending on a lot of variables)then that's the way I want my Euphyllia to be. I don't care for a lot of the powerheads on the market. There are 2 that imho are the best. I run an 8 bulb T5 with 2 XHOS and trying to configure a way to add 3 hydra 26 HD sitting here collecting dust without losing any of my 8 bulbs. I'm getting insane growth (want to add hydras for better colors) with the lights and my alkatronic keeping my alk extremely stable.

What in your opinion are the 2 best powerheads? Yeah I really like the lighting with the led/T5 setup.

BRS

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, I will have to see what I can do. Thanks!
You may consider gyre placement. Front to back may be causing a lot of turbulence as it slams the front glass. Spreading that out length wise maye give you more even random flow.

I have a 75 and run two 1050 gph power heads on each end of the tank running in an anti sync gyre flow. Hammers are low in the tank and get just enough flow while the torches are higher getting much more

OP
OP
H2Ocooled

H2Ocooled

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may consider gyre placement. Front to back may be causing a lot of turbulence as it slams the front glass. Spreading that out length wise maye give you more even random flow.

I have a 75 and run two 1050 gph power heads on each end of the tank running in an anti sync gyre flow. Hammers are low in the tank and get just enough flow while the torches are higher getting much more
Yeah I had it setup like that when I had 1 gyre but decided to try them in the back wall when I added the second unit, I think I will move them back to the sides and try them like that for a while. It is really nice though having them out of the way on the back.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had it setup like that when I had 1 gyre but decided to try them in the back wall when I added the second unit, I think I will move them back to the sides and try them like that for a while. It is really nice though having them out of the way on the back.
Might work well if you anti sync them then the most turbulent area in the tank is constantly changing. Seems to work well for all my lps

Top Shelf Aquatics

SVP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in your opinion are the 2 best powerheads? Yeah I really like the lighting with the led/T5 setup.
For me bang for buck and still get a good powerhead is waveline puck 2. I like the way the flow is not direct like MPs. Has a lot of outward direction water movement not just straight ahead. Although I did put a puck on one end of a 96" long 14" deep frag and an mp10 on the other turned them both up to 100% to see which one would push the coral viewer and the puck won. Another nice thing is it draws water in from behind so it gives a lot of different water movement for $120. Sucks they are out of business but they can be found. I do run MPs because of the clean look and for me dependability just on my reef tanks not frags. Yes I believe I will be switching to a t5 led hybrid soon enough. Miss those colors LEDs give the torches.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back