+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

It's been about a year since I shut down my 20g reef tank but recently I've been inspired by some of the great macro tanks I've been seeing. I'm planning to set up a 10g desktop tank with just macros and maybe some snails/hermits for clean up. I love the way some of the Caulerpa species look (taxifolia and racemosa) but I am a bit worried about having to deal with them going sexual.

Does anyone know of other species of macros that grow longer fronds but are less likely to go sexual? If not, any tips for keeping Caulerpa in a display refugium without having to deal with the risk?

Also, is it advisable to cycle the tank before introducing macros?

Cheers!

Last edited:
BRS

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have ever heard the question about cycling a tank with plants before. I think it might be a good idea, perhaps?

Add a rock with (marco)algae growing on it might instantly cycle a small tank? If there was a cycle (following die off and amonia release from stuff on the rock) in the tank I don't think that would be a threat to any plant life? I don't think the ammonia concentration would be so high that it would kill a plant?

I think there is a good chance that lots of micro hitchhikers could come in on the rock, if you avoid introducing aiptasia or other pests you could hope for sponges, pods, and other beneficial life forms to thrive in the new tank.

As far as the plant going sexual, if that happend then remove the plant and add in a new one. I don't think the problems of nutrient release and nutrient spikes are going to pose a threat to keeping other plants alive in the same aquairum.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

It's been about a year since I shut down my 20g reef tank but recently I've been inspired by some of the great macro tanks I've been seeing. I'm planning to set up a 10g desktop tank with just macros and maybe some snails/hermits for clean up. I love the way some of the Caulerpa species look (taxifolia and racemosa) but I am a bit worried about having to deal with them going sexual.

Does anyone know of other species of macros that grow longer fronds but are less likely to go sexual? If not, any tips for keeping Caulerpa in a display refugium without having to deal with the risk?

Cheers!

Macros and most coral would prefer to feed on ammonia. In my 25yr mature tank, the system often consumes nitrogen faster than I feed, so I sometimes dose ammonia.

I like Caulerpa Prolifera. However, it will go sexual under strong lighting when nutrients bottom out

Russ Kronwetter is diver/owner of Gulf Coast Ecosystem. The above link is an excellent guide to macro algae.

This is a 30G macro tank at 18months mature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 46
Top Shelf Aquatics

OldRed1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much advice to offer, but I’m a huge fan of macros in the tank. Feel free to check out my build thread if you’d like. Glad to chat about any questions if I can be of service!

Northwest_Scapes_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Cheers!
Hi there! Awesome you're getting back into it with a Macroalgae Tank, if you want to see mine, you can check out my build thread.

About your questions: Caulerpa Ashmedii is one that comes to mind. It gets around 12" tall and the risk of going sexual is pretty low, although anything can happen. A tip is you can run the runner of the caulerpa onto the rocks if you want to get some more height with shorter species, Caulerpa Palspoides is a good one that has a low risk of going sexual and looks really nice in a tank.

Personally, I would cycle the tank, especially if you're thinking of adding inverts. You technically don't have to but a lot of people have had better success (me included) with cycling the tank first, then adding macros.

I wish you success! Macro tanks are a load of fun

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed display tank that has a fair amount of macro algae, including caulerpa cupressoides, ( which is not as invasive and has a lower risk of going sexual). If you regularly prune caulerpa that will also keep it from going sexual. I also have gracilaria, halimeda, lobophora and Coraline fine. They are all beautiful additions to my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OldRed1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed display tank that has a fair amount of macro algae, including caulerpa cupressoides, ( which is not as invasive and has a lower risk of going sexual). If you regularly prune caulerpa that will also keep it from going sexual. I also have gracilaria, halimeda, lobophora and Coraline fine. They are all beautiful additions to my tank.
Could you share a picture? Would love to see your tank!

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Cheers!
@TheWackyWiz

In two tanks set up to handle 100 pounds of diver collected uncured live rock, two weeks before receiving shipment, I cycled dry aroggonite with bottled bacteria and ammonia. The bulk of diver collected rock went into 55G tank with a reverse flow undergravel filter. After receiving shipment including a qt bag full of Caulerpa Paspoidies & C Prolifera along with 20 lbs of diver collected live sand full of numerous detrivores including micro starfish and worms of all sorts. Each live rock was full of micro fauna & fana as well as ornamental macro algae including Bortacladia, Red Grapes. As I continued to cycle the tank with multiple critters that formed numerous nutrient pathways that feed hungry mouths in the tank. Diver collected rocks bring in higher level corals & both ornamental & cryptic sponges.

Picture #1 in center bottom shows small rock 18 months removed from GOM with a hard coral & a Gorgonian that were not visible for one year until I noted small growth and moved to its present position.

Picture #2 shows a red ball of Gracilaria Hayi, one of the few macro algaes that survive grazing by Hippo Tang. Both #1 & #2 are in 25 year mature 75G display tank.

Picture #3 is 30G mixed garden macro tank.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Does anyone know of other species of macros that grow longer fronds but are less likely to go sexual? If not, any tips for keeping Caulerpa in a display refugium without having to deal with the risk?”

@TheWackyWiz

The above link is “A Case for Caulerpa” and this is one paragraph:

“To avoid the conditions that trigger sporualtion in the aquarium there are a few safeguards. Regular pruning of tissue is required and will help discourage Caulerpa to reproduce sexually. In addition to pruning, limiting the size of each cell is important so that biomass does not exceed the nutrient levels. If growing in a sump or refugium some hobbyists employ a continuously illuminated environment so that the Caulerpa can never enter into the phase of respiration or rest. Although this method does work to prevent sporulation, it also effects the growth as respiration is a needed process of photosynthesis. A newer method is to simply increase the photoperiod to allow 4-6 hours of rest, followed by continuous illumination.”

Corals.com

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share a picture? Would love to see your tank!

I took this pic yesterday right after I received some new macros. The halimeda opuntia is whitish now but will turn green as it settles in.

IMG_20221026_151654339.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back