Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on building a stand in my garage to hold a brute up top and one underneath. The top one will store RODI. My tank is about 60 feet from this. Id like to have a length of RODI tubing that I keep rolled up in the garage to reach the tank to fill up my ato container. Can this be gravity fed or do I need to find some sort of pump to convert to 1/4” or 3/8” rodi?

AquaCave Logo Banner

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connecting a large quantity of rodi water to your system without a mechanical stop ( valve?) could be dangerous, depending on the volume of the rodi storage and display tank.
I've seen more than a couple very experienced reefers flood their tanks with freshwater when something went wrong.

BRS
OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m simply talking about rolling out the hose, filling it up and rolling it back up. As in while I’m standing right there. Just trying to avoid the bucket routine. 60-70ft of hose is relatively inexpensive.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m simply talking about rolling out the hose, filling it up and rolling it back up. As in while I’m standing right there. Just trying to avoid the bucket routine. 60-70ft of hose is relatively inexpensive.
I guess I didn't read your post very well.
Yeah a hose and a pump with a valve on the end to shut off the flow until you can get back to shut off the pump.

UnderseaOddities

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not just get a bulk head (x amount of in in diameter) and pump with a on off controller and some pvc and 2 ball valves( x in in diameter) put on ball valve on outside of bulkhead to control where how much water flows through then plump pvc to ato container

Or u could avoid all that buy some valves for rodi line and run rodi ato res with dual sensor float valve to control water level

Utilizing something like this and this

But if I were u I'd have a 55g optimally or 30 to 20g garbage can or tote as a holding res for rodi water then plumb that with a pump with on off remote a gate valve or balvalve at base to control water flow then plumb pvc then have bal valve going into to ato res and pump water as needed

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

UnderseaOddities

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all personal preference if u dont want bulky pipes the rodi line is more minimalist looking

If you're a gearhead and you like the aesthetic of pipes and valves the go with pvc and pump

But note both methods can be used

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sicce utility pump kit to move fresh saltwater from the mixing barrel to my 240. It's only about 20', but with a stronger pump and longer hose you could cover the 60-70 feet no problem.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

RELLIK-REEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 inch Tube Float Valve Kit for RO Water Reverse Osmosis System water filter Push in to Connect Pipe Hose Tube Fittings CCK tube(ball valve +L+15 feet pipe) (blue) https://a.co/d/fU3ca4c

I use these and I have a splitter in my ro/di line one goes to my mixing station to keep a 55 gallon drum always full and the other line goes to my return section with the float. I also put a shut off at each area so that I can clean things without having to shut everything down. No pumps needed. My levels never fluctuate in the return and my salinity stays a constant 35ppm.

Good luck whatever route you go.
Happy reefing.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back