Get another urchin or burn down the ocean?

Deltec

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I know this varies from to tank to tank, I was wondering what the consensus was on how many urchins (probably Tuxedo or Halloween) per gallon on a reef tank?

Since I know it will be ask, the reason I am wondering is a GHA issue that is starting to slowly drive me insane. As background the tank is a 60g cube with 15g sump. It's been up for 10+ years, but was fallowed for 2 years until Dec 2022 (lights and pumps were still on). After replacing the sand, I stocked it with 2 Lightning Maroons. For CUC I have 3 Turbo Snails, 15-20 Blue Leg Hermits, 30+ mixed snails, and a Tuxedo Urchin. In addition I added 40-50 coral frags from my other tanks around January. Within a week nitrate and phosphorus fell out the bottom and I had Dinos (Ostreopsis) pop up. Started dosing and turned back on the UV and had them cleared within a day or two. My issue is, whenever I cut back on dosing what I consider a ludicrous amount I have dinos pop back up. GHA has taken hold in maybe a dozen spots the size of a quarter or so. Currently daily dosing:

Brightwell Nitromag 15ml
Brightwell Neo Phos 17ml
Kents Mag M Tech 9ml
Seachem Part 1 20ml
Seachem Part 2 22ml

I have attached the last 90 days of my major prams. So back to original question. Would 2 urchins be ok in this set up if I would like to avoid potential supplemental feeding in the future, or should I try to ride this out and ignore my OCD. Thank you for any input from a long time lurker, first time poster.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 5.47.40 PM.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank? I'd double the snails and maybe another 10-15 hermits if it were me. You can add another urchin so long as there is enough food. I had one in my 80 and that seemed to be enough for what I needed it to do.

Was set up in February of 2012

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back