Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys will probably play nice. You could have a third honestly. You have a lot of room, and these guys are very peaceful. Seeing as your new addition will be male I don’t think your female will transition soon.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys will probably play nice. You could have a third honestly. You have a lot of room, and these guys are very peaceful. Seeing as your new addition will be male I don’t think your female will transition soon.
Does the bigger species generally turn male? The Watanabei is bigger...but I know Spotbreast get bigger at maturity.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bigger species generally turn male? The Watanabei is bigger...but I know Spotbreast get bigger at maturity.
Not necessarily it just depends on which fish is added first or what sex it is or what level if submission is shown so they can but it could not. Seeing as the Watanabei is the largest and already male there wouldn’t be any transition of him back to female unless the female melanospilos doesn’t submit and transitions into a male.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a G. Melanospilos female around 4.5 inches. Can I add a larger male G. Watanabei in a 6 footer without any problems? Or do I need to stick to the same species?
Honestly, it’s risky. Adding a male to a female that may already be in the transitional phase but not showing it yet could turn out to be a bad idea.
The other thing is your make watanabei could revert to female and the melanospilos could turn out male.

It’s really a 50/50 situation for both things. The melanospilos could become boisterous (I doubt it) but at the same time the Watanabei could go in and remain male.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back