Generally speaking, which corals aren’t safe with angels?

Nutramar

Zionas

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, if I want angels to be the focus of my tank but don’t want to go FOWLR, which corals would I do best to avoid? And which corals are generally safe? I can think of Zoas and fleshy / meaty LPS at the top of my head, but not sure if there’s any other stuff to consider or avoid.

I like a flowing look in my tank, so I will definitely have GSPs and some Euphyllia.

From what I’ve gathered:

Safe-
Mushrooms
Leathers
Green Star Polyps
Most Euphyllia
Bubble Coral
Duncans
Caulastrea (Candy Cane / Trumpet)

Not Safe-
Meaty LPS (“Brain” corals)
Zoas and Palys

SPS aren’t within my scope of consideration for now because I want an “easy” tank without constantly worrying about dosing Ca and Alk or having to maintain low nutrients, or needing a very good set of lights. I am Fish > Corals but FOWLR is barren and boring for me.

BTW Happy New Year

Nutramar Foods

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish. I have 4 angels, regal, conspicuous, tiger, and personifier and they nip occasionally but not enough to kill the coral. They are under 5” so who knows, one day they might get an itch for corals but for now they are doing well with montis, chalice, leathers, and mushrooms. I had zoas in the past but they gobbled this up quickly.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really comment since I don’t have a truly reef safe with caution Angel at this time, but I did keep a CB, Flame, Blue Face in my LFS’s 7’ display tank. They left
Duncans
Caulastrea
Most of the Euphillia (I can’t remember which ones got nipped/eaten)
Mushroom polyps
Most encrusting LPS like Favia
Leathers
Most SPS coral.

2una

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emperor,regal,majestic,flame but keep more sps than anything.

Favia - safe
Mushrooms discosoma - safe
Mushrooms ricordia - emperor will eat them sometimes...if small needs a guard otherwise gone.
Goniopora - if small needs a guard,emperor + majestic will pick at occasionally but then tend to leave alone.
Sand anemone - emperor will try eat
Inferno anemone - they all leave it alone & never once even wanted to taste it for some reason.
Zoas - = fish food
Chalice - safe

lmgoetze

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting to hear! … my emperor will only eat/decimate any sps I try to put in the tank and none of my softies or euphyllia!

My safe list:
- torches
- mushroom ricordea
- xenia
- zoas
- GSP
- all nems, rock nems
-Duncan (mostly - took a couple nibs but didn’t like so then left alone)

Not Safe:
- chalices
- montipora
- candy canes
- setosa
- possibly acan, still tbd

i may have a weird emperor, but I like him, so I’ve opted to make this tank sps free. Trade offs… But each fish is its own! And I hate there are no true guidelines, it’s always a test and hope, otherwise, just very expensive fish food lol

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely love angels more than corals! Hah. Emperors are nice but they get too large for the average tank though. :( Plus they’re not captive bred yet so maybe one day when they’re captive bred + I can afford the space and money for a huge tank, haha.

I would say though when it comes to large angels (excluding Genicanthus) my favorite are:
1. Regal (Yellow Belly)
2. Blue Line and the “Maze” hybrids
3. Goldflake
4. Bandit
5. Majestic

For dwarfs:
1. Venusta
2. Coral Beauty
3. Flame
4. Multi-Bar
5. Lemonpeel (yes I know their reputation so I’m not considering one)

(Colin’s would probably tie with Lemonpeel)

And for the higher end dwarfs, my favorite is C. Interrupta. P. Boylei and P. Narcosis, sure, but that’s unobtainable territory.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All angels are different. Yes meaty LPS and zoanthids are almost certainly goners and your safest options are probably leathers but sps and others may be fine. Better chance if it working if

1. Corals have grown out to colonies,, don't put it in a frag tank! Frags will get stressed by nipping too much.

2. Corals are healthy first and foremost. Predators know a sick prey animal and will take advantage of its weakened defenses.

3. Decide whether you want an angel or certain corals, and then if you decide angel understand that whatever it eats is simply not something you can keep anymore.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if one were to stick an small Emperor into a 240g SPS dominated mature tank fed adequately then would it ever be a threat considering it likely won’t ever be able to out eat the growth rate of the SPS? Can’t see it just picking one and munching away until it was gone.

Watched a video on Julian Sorungs outdoor salt pond and they also covered his SPS tank with angels. Emperor didn’t bother the majority of corals. Don’t recall exactly which ones he did like but does seem that perhaps a target rich environment might work. Assuming it doesn’t consume faster than the hobbyist would frag otherwise.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back