Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g and have a small/small medium purple tang in there currently as the only fish for the start of my reef in this tank. Would a small/medium gem tang get along? Have heard mixed opinions.
thanks

World Wide Corals

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them together for years. If they are the only 2 zebrasoma tangs you may have issues - This would be the same with any 2 zebrasoma tangs though. In the zebrasomma family the Gems and Purples are definitely the most aggressive in my experience (3.5 decades). Purples have a tendency to be long term established fish and then after years of chilling get a sudden growth spurt and as they all of a sudden start outgrowing the other tangs - Go all Gangsta on the smaller tangs.

Gems on the other hand are usually a little more 'fiesty' in general. While they are not as agressive in their attacks as purples, they will be alot more active at close range nips at other tangs.

First off - If you don't have any other zebrasomma proceed with extreme caution - if you have the ability to quickly remove the least favorite fish and house it safely till it recuperates.

Get a few other zebrasomas, scopas or sailfins, yellows (if Biota sizes are comparable) and give them more than just each other to chase after. The more fish you have, the more chaos, the less aggression.

When you get the Gem, get it slightly (just slightly) smaller than the purple - because usually they will be the aggressor.

If you are just getting started with your tank, as you posted, then stock the tank with everyone else and get the most amount of distraction and chaos before adding the Gem. The distraction of other fish - so they don't focus on just each other - is going to be super important.

Dave B

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just getting started with your tank, as you posted, then stock the tank with everyone else and get the most amount of distraction and chaos before adding the Gem. The distraction of other fish - so they don't focus on just each other - is going to be super important.
^^This
Maybe maybe not but probably not would be my guess. As the only two fish and both zebrasoma it could get ugly.

AS

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above. Plus, I’d put a couple mirrors on the the outside of the tank when the new guys are added to diffuse aggression.

OP
OP
C

CH3RRY

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them together for years. If they are the only 2 zebrasoma tangs you may have issues - This would be the same with any 2 zebrasoma tangs though. In the zebrasomma family the Gems and Purples are definitely the most aggressive in my experience (3.5 decades). Purples have a tendency to be long term established fish and then after years of chilling get a sudden growth spurt and as they all of a sudden start outgrowing the other tangs - Go all Gangsta on the smaller tangs.

Gems on the other hand are usually a little more 'fiesty' in general. While they are not as agressive in their attacks as purples, they will be alot more active at close range nips at other tangs.

First off - If you don't have any other zebrasomma proceed with extreme caution - if you have the ability to quickly remove the least favorite fish and house it safely till it recuperates.

Get a few other zebrasomas, scopas or sailfins, yellows (if Biota sizes are comparable) and give them more than just each other to chase after. The more fish you have, the more chaos, the less aggression.

When you get the Gem, get it slightly (just slightly) smaller than the purple - because usually they will be the aggressor.

Dave B
Thank you for the detailed response! Great advice.

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a purple thats about 5 or so inches. He is kind of a bully but I added a small bristletooth tang and he chased her for a little but now they are good. Never had a gem but my purple is for sure king of the tank and that went well. I also have lots of nori clips too

BRS
OP
OP
C

CH3RRY

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a purple thats about 5 or so inches. He is kind of a bully but I added a small bristletooth tang and he chased her for a little but now they are good. Never had a gem but my purple is for sure king of the tank and that went well. I also have lots of nori clips too
added two blue hippos about 2-3 inches a few days ago, purple almost killed both. Had to sell the purple tang

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added two blue hippos about 2-3 inches a few days ago, purple almost killed both. Had to sell the purple tang
Oh well if thats the case I wouldnt add the gem… both are aggressive. Guess I got a very tame purple. I hear stories like that all the time. If my purple was that aggressive I would not be adding another tang to be honest, especially since gems are expensive and as are purples. They could kill eachother. But thats just my gut feeling on that, I dont have a gem and my purple is not psycho either, he hasnt actually hurt any small fish I have added after him and the baby blue and baby kole are completely chill with him

kzenoni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hex luck adding during feeding time just before lights go out. There is always aggression while they determine pecking order.
IMG_0585.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back