Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200-gallon mixed reef tank. multiple Tangs.(Yellow, Black, Purple, Hippo, Gem). All are fat and eating well. had all five over five years. Over the last two years, the gem tangs fins have just slowly deteriorated. Now it is so bad she only has one pectoral fin and a partial tail fin. The dorsal fin is gone. She eats and otherwise seems fine. She is the most aggressive tang when feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 200-gallon mixed reef tank. multiple Tangs.(Yellow, Black, Purple, Hippo, Gem). All are fat and eating well. had all five over five years. Over the last two years, the gem tangs fins have just slowly deteriorated. Now it is so bad she only has one pectoral fin and a partial tail fin. The dorsal fin is gone. She eats and otherwise seems fine. She is the most aggressive tang when feeding.
To best assess, please provide both:
A pic or two of the fish under white lighting
AND
A description of other fish in the tank.

Having 2 dozen tangs, i'll likely know from your list

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing pictures. However, Zebrasoma tangs often show HLLE as fin erosion. The involvement of the pectoral fin isn’t typical though.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do not see reply or attachments if any

OP
OP
Reeftripper

Reeftripper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow that I have had for 10 years, A Hippo for 12, a purple for 7, a Black for 7. and the Gem for about 5 years. They are all fat and reasonably happy campers. The black has recently started showing signs of lateral line fading. The others all look good. I also have a copper band and Klien butterfly, 4 clowns, Six orange skunks, and a Clarki. The Pearl-eyed Clarki is the bully of the tank. I am new to this forum and having difficulty posting photos. I know that doesn't help. I will keep trying to figure it out. Appreciate your help and patience.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Yellow that I have had for 10 years, A Hippo for 12, a purple for 7, a Black for 7. and the Gem for about 5 years. They are all fat and reasonably happy campers. The black has recently started showing signs of lateral line fading. The others all look good. I also have a copper band and Klien butterfly, 4 clowns, Six orange skunks, and a Clarki. The Pearl-eyed Clarki is the bully of the tank. I am new to this forum and having difficulty posting photos. I know that doesn't help. I will keep trying to figure it out. Appreciate your help and patience.
Sounds like possible HLLE or even stress where Mine has a faded area when spooked or annoyed by others. If its tail/fin damage- culprits are hepatus and Purple
What diet are you providing?

OP
OP
Reeftripper

Reeftripper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing pictures. However, Zebrasoma tangs often show HLLE as fin erosion. The involvement of the pectoral fin isn’t typical though.
Jay
Sounds like possible HLLE or even stress where Mine has a faded area when spooked or annoyed by others. If its tail/fin damage- culprits are hepatus and Purple
What diet are you providing?
Nori and a custom blend of frozen prepared by my reef maintenance guy. Tank has a lot of rock and seems to be large enough.

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back