+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18C74430-AFF8-4FE1-BFF2-1AB837E30FAD.jpeg

Saw this amazing full red chocolate/knobby star just now, does anyone know what species is this?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess of the top of my head, I'd say it's a color variation of Protoreaster linckii...I could do some looking into it though if you wanted...if you're happy with it and understand it's not reef safe, etc., then it looks like a good find. I haven't seen one like that personally.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, these guys are listed as being a color variant of Protoreaster nodosus (Chocolate Chip Starfish) as Vetteguy53081 mentioned, but no one seems to actually know for sure if that's correct. Protoreaster linckii is a fair guess too, and there has been some speculation that they may be a color variant of a Pentaceraster species as well (such as P. regulus, P. multispinus, P. alveolatus, etc.). To muddy things further, there's always a chance it could be the juvenile coloration of a species, or it could be multiple species that just happen to look the same too, so I'd imagine these guys fall into the category that would require DNA testing to know for certain what they are.

Personally, I'm inclined to think it's likely either Protoreaster nodosus or a Pentaceraster sp., but I don't know for sure.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Breadbox

Breadbox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess of the top of my head, I'd say it's a color variation of Protoreaster linckii...I could do some looking into it though if you wanted...if you're happy with it and understand it's not reef safe, etc., then it looks like a good find. I haven't seen one like that personally.
Certainly wouldn't mind more info on it, could it be a new species? It's the size of the palm(minus the finger) which certainly makes seem like an adult?
The ruby red dragonet has being in the hobby for years before it's recognised as a distinct specie.

Unfortunately it seem to be sold instantly, i was told it has already being reserved by someone else.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly wouldn't mind more info on it, could it be a new species? It's the size of the palm(minus the finger) which certainly makes seem like an adult?
The ruby red dragonet has being in the hobby for years before it's recognised as a distinct specie.

Unfortunately it seem to be sold instantly, i was told it has already being reserved by someone else.
I doubt it's a new species...it's probably just phenotypic plasticity (a high degree of variation at that)...if you really want it, see if you can outbid the guy. I personally haven't seen a pure red one like that. Of it's something that really excited you and you have a little extra money for it, I'd try to get it! Don't give up quite yet!
I can try to do a little more research into it...

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's always a chance it could be an unrecognized species, but I'm currently inclined to agree with livinlifeinBKK that it's most likely just a phenotype of some known species (like how Linckia laevigata is actually an ecophenotype of Linckia multifora). Yeah, I've seen these offered for sale at 3-4", so I'm inclined to agree that it's most likely an adult.

If it is Protoreaster nodosus or a Pentaceraster sp., than it's a biofilm eater and will be difficult to feed long term - though biofilm eating starfish can usually survive a decent length of time in large enough aquariums (the smallest recommended tank size I've seen to accommodate this is 75 gallons, but bigger is substantially more likely to be successful as I understand it). Additionally, these species are known to eat corals in aquaria, so that would be something to keep in mind (this is largely thought to be a result of limited preferred food sources - i.e. it's thought that they eat corals when they run out of biofilm). Protoreaster nodosus seems to prefer biofilms that form on sediments and seagrasses, and Pentaceraster spp. seem to prefer biofilms that form on macroalgae (and possibly seagrasses too). So, having some seagrass and macroalgae in the aquarium could potentially help feed these guys, but there's no guarantee.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back