Fuge maintenance - how often do you vacuum/clean-up?

BRS

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey friends! I don't have the highest flow in my sump so a lot of sentiment/detritus seems to fall under my live rock layer (which is under my chaeto).

If applicable, how often do you vacuum, clean it up? I have some snails in there but they don't seem to snag all of that. 9 month old tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my fuge, I pull the chaeto and just turkey baste the rocks to get detritus in the water column and then net out what I can. I don't want to siphon out microfauna there so it generally stays fairly dirty with mulm but a lot of biodiversity.

Avast
OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For my fuge, I pull the chaeto and just turkey baste the rocks to get detritus in the water column and then net out what I can. I don't want to siphon out microfauna there so it generally stays fairly dirty with mulm but a lot of biodiversity.
How often do you do maintenance on
I put a gyre in my fuge to help with flow. It's non tested but here's hoping it keeps maintenance low and the flow steady.
It's a good call - Mine is a small sump area so I feel like that would be overkill? Any small type that would work well? Last two months I've gotten green hair algae that's starting to over run my chaeto

Mikey-D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a good call - Mine is a small sump area so I feel like that would be overkill? Any small type that would work well? Last two months I've gotten green hair algae that's starting to over run my chaeto
Sicce nano? Small enough to push some water around

Mikey-D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to ask - why do you NEED a decent flow in the sump? What is the benefit of having it versus not?
Keep cheato moving around if flow from the DT to the Sump isn't pushing it around....

My goal is to have a decent flow and don't want to rely on the drain flow so I figure why not throw a powerhead in there and keep the flow constant

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cleaned mine once in 3 years. Only reason I cleaned it then was because I tried running without filter socks, which are in the first chamber and my chaeto (second chamber) was just trashed and packed with detritus. I pulled the chaeto, cleaned and added fresh chaeto and went back to filter socks. That was probably a year or so ago. I run a pretty slow flow and my chaeto doesn't really move much less tumble and it grows great. I just flip it over by hand once in while. It is lit on 3 sides tho so I'm sure that helps. Cleaning the sump is not part of my maintenance routine.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I blow it out maybe once a month. I hand rotate and trim the chaeto weekly. Fuge are messy but that is a trade off to having natural nutrients export and a home for microfauna to enhance your biome.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 85
Corals.com
OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I blow it out maybe once a month. I hand rotate and trim the chaeto weekly. Fuge are messy but that is a trade off to having natural nutrients export and a home for microfauna to enhance your biome.
Sharp - what's in the other chamber that's not a filter sock?

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I do not disturb mine- Part of the ecosystem and natural fauna

Toff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run very small wave makers in my sump, one in my fuge, keeping the cheato moving which is on a timer with the fuge light and one where my return pump and doser pipes are. I dont really need the second one but it does help stir the fluid coming from the dosing pump with return water.

AS

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cleaned mine when I replaced my Apex and reprogrammed everything. It started up my 2 Cor 20 pumps at 100% and sucked everything out of the sump into the display.

Neptune 555

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think your red sea star could do a good clean if you put in in the sump for a few days? Have you tried?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back