Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had a special spot in my heart for Fu's, as it was a Fu that got my over my anxiety about having my hands in the tank with venomous fish when I first started working at my LFS a little over two years ago. After we sold him I hadn't seen one/been able to get one in until today, but of course it was a larger one and shipping took it's toll on the poor guy.
I now have our contact at Quality Marine keeping an eye out for a small one for me in the range of 1.5-2" (whoo!), and in the meantime I want to start getting things together for him. So-question time.

I am aware they are fairly tough to wean off of live, and am fully prepared to house/gut load some ghost shrimp until that time comes(2.5 G with a heater and sponge filter for them). Once he's weaned onto krill, any other recommendations to spice up his diet? Has anybody gotten a Fu to eat pellets?

Is it safe to keep leathers, zoas, and/or mushrooms with him? Euphyllia? I'm more of a coral over fish enthusiast though if he can't be with any coral I'm fine with that, as there's always macro algae.

What types of CUC are okay for a lion-only tank? It doesn't seem like he'd bother snails if they're big enough, but I'm still not sure.

I've heard Fuzzys can be jumpers. Is it the same with Fu's?

Final question- at the size I'm looking to get (1.5-2"), how long -if at all- would he be okay to live in a 14G? The only spare tank I have room for currently (well, I should say after taking down at least one if not two of my smaller freshwater planteds) is a 14G Fluval M series that was given to me. The Fu would be the only fish in the tank, aside from maybe a clown or small damsel to hold the cycle until I get the Fu. That's a big maybe, though, because I really hate clowns and damsels. The 14G would by no means be a permanent setup, just temporary until I get my own place and can upgrade to a 40B or bigger to house a snowflake moray with him.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does "take its toll" mean? Did it die?

I don't think it would be that hard to wean. I have taught 2 fuzzies, a dwarf zebra, Mombasa, and 2 anglers to eat frozen. You need patience and proper tools. I took an acrylic feeding stick, drilled a hole in the end, and put some single filimant 50lb fishing line through it. I put the krill on it and dance it around.

You need to move it in front and then quickly away. If you leave it there for too long, it isn't natural. Also, you need to let the fish know it doesn't have all day to think about it. Lions tend to be very deliberate when eating which can get fustrating.

I have never tried pellets. I have a predator tank, and no one (other than my foxface) is interested in pellets.

Nutramar Foods

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what anyone says; you can never 100% count on weaning him to dead food. I have had one for over 4 years and although he will occasionally eat dead food, he would never sustain strictly on dead food. I have 4 lionfish in a 90 reef, any of the lions are great reef inhabitants; you just can't have shrimp or any of the small reef fish that they can fit in their mouth.

My fuzzy has jumped into the overflow but my fu never has, but do keep a cover on all my tanks; better safe than sorry. The fu will swim and be more active than you think, but a 40B would work, that smaller tank really isn't the best idea. They'll grow fast to about 4" or so then slow down. I personally feed all my predators live food, and most of the people I know that tried to feed a dead only diet didn't work out that well in the long run. There are obviously exceptions as you will hear, but that is definitely the exception. In the real world the only ones I've seen make it long term was at least fed a combo live/dead diet.

OP
OP
H

hermitmandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
Looks like I'll have to try to figure out a bigger tank situation. I think I can maneuver some of my medium sized tanks around to make room for a semi larger one in the 25-30G range, but that would involve moving my reef which I'd rather not do.
Yeah, the poor dude wasn't alive when he came in. Really a bummer, as he was a gorgeous fish.

A dwarf angel should do alright with him, yeah? We had a Black Nox come in earlier today, and holy crap did I fall in love fast.

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my fu and fuzzy together in a 30 for about 2 years, they seemed to be happy in there. The black nox may not be the best choice for that size tank.

You really don't need a heater for a ghosties tank, my house gets to 60 in the winter and they do fine. I start losing them when it get warm, the fish room where they are gets to 84 in the summer.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

hermitmandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my fu and fuzzy together in a 30 for about 2 years, they seemed to be happy in there. The black nox may not be the best choice for that size tank.

You really don't need a heater for a ghosties tank, my house gets to 60 in the winter and they do fine. I start losing them when it get warm, the fish room where they are gets to 84 in the summer.
I've been doing a bit more reading on the nox since posting that. Bummer, but understandable.
That'll make the ghostie tank much easier to look after. What salinity do you keep yours at?

OP
OP
H

hermitmandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ghosties are fresh water and most of the time don't live very long when you put them in the fu's tank. although some do manage to acclimate, they still won't last long usually eaten pretty fast.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were trying to breed to sustain the colony, as I've heard/read they only breed in brackish conditions.

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back