From Fresh into Salty water... Clearseal 900.

Darkzy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just jumped from freshwater into the saltwater world, it's a bumpy ride which I didn't make easy for myself LOL.

I'm going to make a build thread in the relevant place to keep things in one spot. But looking for any advice as I can :)

Thanks
PXL_20230420_221828059.jpg

Pics include rock additions over last couple of days (more curing)

My first pest or not pest? Anyone give any insight as to what it is.

Today's tests :O water change galore. I got some dry rock, but didn't realise about curing so had a load of dead sponge that's caused my ammonia to sky rocket. Nitrates are present now so fairly sure my cycle is getting there, just fighting the left over ammonia and nitrite spike with a passion :( any tips?

Can I use prime to lock up the ammonia and nitrites without risk to my cycle?

Also I am getting another test kit, I've heard api are the best lol

Also any tips for sump set up?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions haha PXL_20230420_221833451.jpg PXL_20230422_170520660.jpg PXL_20230426_092858828.jpg PXL_20230426_191628483.jpg

Corals.com

Reefer_kano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers will be your best option for testing the water API test kit is not. the best recommendation I can give you is Be patient and let the tank do its thing and mature on its own. If you don't, you will be spending AND loosing alot of money.
(Speaking from my own personal experience)
I come from a large freshwater collection and now transitioning to saltwater.
Some of the principals will be the same but Patience is the KEY .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
API are perhaps the worse and notorious for false readings. Hanna and salifert brand are more reliable.
The bug in picture appears to be a NON-aquatic insect.
Do Not lock up ammonia especially durinng a cycle. You want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride . Then you want to monitor ammonia, and When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Get a pet store that does not use Api anything to test water for you until you get a better test kit(s)

OP
OP
Darkzy

Darkzy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys, already got a salifert ammonia test today, showing ammonia at 0.25ppt, nitrite at 4-5ppm, nitrates not being tested yet due to high nitrite presence.

Currently trying to bring nitrites down a little with small periodic water changes from 10 - 20%

Rocks have been placed on very shallow layer of sand, all my other rock work is currently bleach curing waiting for rince, dechlorinate and scaping. Then I'll add more of the live sand in to set in place. Luckily all the rocks when tested on flattish surface have to lean over a considerable amount before they hit there fall angle, if that makes sense?

Loving all the tips though so far :)

Regarding Hanna testerd, what's the most important ones for starting out? The digital readout makes things so much simpler lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back