From 75G to 32G, what stocking level is acceptable?

Nutramar

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've had a 75 Gallon with 40G sump for the last 6 months. I have sold my house and now need to downgrade tanks, and sell/trade for credit any fish that I can't keep in the new tank.

I bought a CoraLife Biocube 32Gallon with LED hood etc.

https://coralifeproducts.com/product/led-biocube/

I currently have

~90-100lbs live rock
2 Snowflake Clowns [bonded]
2 B. Cardinals
1 Diamond Goby
2 Tuxedo Urchins
Brittle Starfish
Assorted Snails

I am looking to switch over
~25lbs of rock
Clowns
Goby
[Maybe cardinals?]
1 [or both] tuxedo urchins
Brittle Star? -Doesn't move, so not too bummed if I need to trade him in

For corals I have

1 plate coral
Zoa rock
Trumpet
Frogspawn [Large]
Hammer [Large]

I'm looking for advice on what to trade in, keep and what fish are suitable for this sized tank/

Note: My Clowns are very passive and never show aggression towards my cardinals or my goby [the clowns and cardinals hang out together]. The Goby also eats frozen/anything I feed

I also have a Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB skimmer on the 75G's sump. Is this way overkill for a 32G? Should I sell it and buy a nano skimmer?

No sump on the 32G, just the tank on a stand. I may buy a new light for it if the included one is inadequate. Going to turn a compartment in the filtration to a Chaeto/pod fuge

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that diamond gobies love to have a good-sized sandbed to rummage through, but one should be able to get along in that size tank. How's yours about taking prepared food? Banggai cardinals' recommended tank size is thirty gallons, but that's for one ... I don't know whether that'll be big enough for a pair to feel comfortable. That tank may become quite a bit smaller if the clownfish lay eggs - they'll become extra-territorial at that time.

Then again, in my own 65, I've been keeping far more fish than most folks would recommend . . .

I do agree with rehoming one of the urchins - they're charming, but need some rockwork with algae growing on it to really be happy, and I'm not sure a 32 will hold enough seaweed for two of 'em.

~Bruce

keddre

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome one of the urchins also. I second the hesitance with the cardinals. Mine spend all day swimming back and forth in my 4' tank, so Isolating them to an almost 2' tank seems like it might be too cramped.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that the cardinals were supposed to be bigger swimmers too, but mine just "float" around with the clowns and occasionally dart back and forth a few times

in my 75 [before I sold my house] I was wanting to get a yellow tang, but the urchins have been keeping my rocks too clean.

For the cardinals, is the tank size recommendation based on their activity level, or their waste production?

My Goby eats anything I give him [frozen, pellets etc.]

It's funny because I thought that the cardinals would help to make the 75 look fuller [swimming around the whole tank] but they just sit in the corner with the clowns [who also don't move much]

I wanted all of my fish to get along, but not to huddle together in one corner at all times...

keddre

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that the cardinals were supposed to be bigger swimmers too, but mine just "float" around with the clowns and occasionally dart back and forth a few times

in my 75 [before I sold my house] I was wanting to get a yellow tang, but the urchins have been keeping my rocks too clean.

For the cardinals, is the tank size recommendation based on their activity level, or their waste production?

My Goby eats anything I give him [frozen, pellets etc.]

It's funny because I thought that the cardinals would help to make the 75 look fuller [swimming around the whole tank] but they just sit in the corner with the clowns [who also don't move much]

I wanted all of my fish to get along, but not to huddle together in one corner at all times...

Lol I understand. It's probably their waste production but that can always be changed.

In my tank my banggai travel from the right side (their dedicated cave) to the left side (where my urchin is usually at). Our split up when I go to change the algae clip

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using my reef octopus bh-2000 on the nano to get some skimming action [I know it's overkill] - trying to sell it on local CraigsList to buy a nano skimmer.

And my Diamond Goby jumped... Found him stiff on the floor.

Now I have 2 clowns, 2 bangaii cardinals [planning to trade in to LFS later this week] and 2 tuxedo urchins [planning to trade in 1]

Does anyone have any fish suggestions for my 32G? - Wife really liked the Diamond Goby, and she really likes the look of the sixline [but is it too aggressive for such a small tank?]

Going to re-aquascape whenever I get time after work this week, and then slowly add sand back in [didn't transfer any sand from the old aquarium]

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up trading?
I took in everything but the peppermint shrimp, one urchin and the clownfish.

The diamond goby jumped when I wasn't home before I could get him out..

Now I have the clown pair and a lawnmower blenny.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back