+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troops,

I got a frogspawn that was doing really well. 3 days ago I wanted to take it off the frag plug and glue it.... thats when i may have injured him a bit...and now its preettttyyy sad looking.

The mouth on the one head appears to be way too wide open, and possibly some skeleton showing through the mouth. Some polyps are actually semi extended. Just not sure how tough these guys are. Looking for opinions.

The frogspawn was doing absolutely amazing prior to me taking it off the plug, and unfortunately injuring it.

Video attached, note the chuck taken out of the bottom of the stem.

Thank fam,

Mitch

N03 10
p04 .03
mag 1200
cal 375
dkh 8.9

Attachments

• Video.mov
    3.3 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eric Cohen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to dose your tank or coral (if you have a small system to place it in for a few days), with my Reef Rx by Blue Life USA product.....it is really effective for bacterial issues with euphyllia corals....and other types of corals too......it's a safe treatment you can dose in your main display or use as a qt treatment for freshly cut frags.

Shirak

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracking the bottom of the skeleton like that is no big deal. They often don't come off smoothly as the skeleton is fairly thin and brittle. The polyp with the open mouth is another problem though and unless you smashed your finger into the top of the polyp, this is not related to handling the base while removing from the plug and gluing to the rock.

There is something else going on.. your Ca and Mg are LOW. I think the issue with the open mouth and detaching/breaking up of the polyp is related to the water parameters.

What are you using to test? Could be the test kits are off or your salinity tester is reading high and it's actually much less than you think. What are you using to check salinity? PO4 at .03ppm is also on the low side.. There are some things here that need correcting IMO or these LPS are not going to do well long term. They often look great for a while even if they are losing tissue and having issues building skeleton.. then one day they just detach or succumb to disease or some such thing.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There is alot of recession here and flow looks like it can come down a hair. Often when this happens, it6 is due to stress as these corals stress very easily and it is likely was due to strong light or flow as well as can be low calcium as they are skeletal coral with polyps
Too much flow and the polyps tear off the skeleton and too little and they shrink. Too much light will cause them to expel their energy source known as zooxanthellae and too little light - they also shrink and even recede. I dont see a bacterial issue which is good

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back