Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a couple weeks we are setting up what we call our "predator" tank. Weve had a snowflake eel for a couple years and are going to move it up to a new 75 gal. No corals, fish only. I wanted some ideas on "pals" for our notorious fish gobbler.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

Reefkeeper12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few snowflakes and none of them ever bothered any fish. Mine would not even eat cleaner shrimp.

This might be a good help for tankmates, but I have not read it in a while:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php
I don’t know how big your eel was, or maybe you just got incredibly lucky. I have an almost 3 ft long snowflake and if he gets hungry he will definitely eat fish, I’ve never seen him actually catch a fish but I know 100% he’s the one eating them, I’ve seen him try. I’d say if you can manage to keep him well fed you’ll be good. But eels are choosy, they eat when they want to eat. If I attempted to feed my eel everyday I’d probably have less casualties but I would waste a lot more food trying to feed him on days he doesn’t want to eat.

I’m thinking the same thing though, make a Predator tank for him but I’ve seen my tangs “F my eel up” and I’m scared to put a humu humu in with him. What if the trigger attacked my eel? The eel really can’t defend himself against the tangs so I doubt he could hurt a trigger if he needed to.

Reefkeeper12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say Angel's and Butterfly's. I've always found then stunning to look at but, couldn't really keep them in a reef.
That’s a good idea on the angels. I’m keeping my copper-band butterfly in my reef though. He’s the model citizen eats mysis, scallops, fish, aiptasia and feather dusters. He’s my baby.

0458CB6D-A71E-4856-A3F9-F2841DED9379.jpeg CCAD0CDE-D64D-488C-8E0C-BC3B40FCB9BE.jpeg BF998D4C-B629-48F0-85CA-C38DF19A4F67.jpeg B14DA50E-F481-4092-8A7E-B27876E7527B.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Nick D

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how big your eel was, or maybe you just got incredibly lucky. I have an almost 3 ft long snowflake and if he gets hungry he will definitely eat fish, I’ve never seen him actually catch a fish but I know 100% he’s the one eating them, I’ve seen him try. I’d say if you can manage to keep him well fed you’ll be good. But eels are choosy, they eat when they want to eat. If I attempted to feed my eel everyday I’d probably have less casualties but I would waste a lot more food trying to feed him on days he doesn’t want to eat.

I’m thinking the same thing though, make a Predator tank for him but I’ve seen my tangs “F my eel up” and I’m scared to put a humu humu in with him. What if the trigger attacked my eel? The eel really can’t defend himself against the tangs so I doubt he could hurt a trigger if he needed to.
I have a snowflake eel bought as a baby3 yrs ago in a reef tank with numerous small and large livestock, shrimp, lobsters, snails, small gobies and blennies. Never saw the eel go after fish ( I’m sure he’s eaten a few ) but I keep him well fed. I’m thinking that’s the key.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back