Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the frag tank up and running this weekend. It's a 15 gallon with a 130 watt PC Lunar Aqualight (Thanks Rev!).

Enjoy!

ZoaFragtank10.jpg

ZoaFragtank10-1.jpg

Zoa10-1.jpg

Zoatopdown1.jpg

Zoatopdown2.jpg

ZoaTopDown3.jpg

ZoaGreenDragonEyes.jpg

BRS
OP
OP
kpax

kpax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doing Awesome! It has to be the lowest maintence tank! They make a great night light with the lunars and my son has to watch it every night before he goes to sleep.

You have to get over here and check it out!

Nutramar Foods

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your frag tank a stand alone system? i.e. not plumbed into your main tank?

i dont see any live rock in there either. i think you may have a prob if a coral dies in there. you have no means of any biological filtration.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

greystreet41

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome. What are the tank specs and do you have or need any type of cleaning clue? What supplements are you using if any for the frag tank? Where did you get your disc plugs or did you make them? Skimming? If this info. is in another thread plz point me that way. :)
thanks,
casey

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
kpax

kpax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a stand alone system. I'm running an Aquaclear 150 with Chemipure in it for filtration.

I will probably add some live rock over time from my main system thats been up for about 4 years. My plan is to be aggressive with water changes since it's just a 15 gallon tank. If the bio levels get too out of wack I will add a skimmer but I don't think I will get there with just Zoa's in the tank. All of these frags came from my main tank which which have been in there for over a month. I bought the plugs, fully cured, from a local vendor here in MN www.reefstock.com from his personal stock. He gets them from Boston aqua Farms and then cures them even though they say they are already cured.

I'll keep eveyone posted to let you know how this set up goes. As of right now everything is open and looks happy on day 2.

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i were you, i would not be agressive on the water changes.

since you set it up as a stand alone tank, you are going to need to cycle it just like any other new tank.

the more water changes you do from the get go, the longer you are prolonging the cycle and you will have a long period of sustained NH3 and NO2.

i think when you add live rock, inverts, fish etc, or have a coral die, you are going to spike your levels of NO2 which are going to really mess up the zoas IMO/IME.

if it were me, i'd take all the corals out, throw in some live rock, make sure the tank is properly cycled first.

HTH

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Ya I have to agree with Surfn on this. Your really taking a big chance IMO. Now if you could seed it with LR from your exsisting system you should have no problem.

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
Ya I have to agree with Surfn on this. Your really taking a big chance IMO. Now if you could seed it with LR from your exsisting system you should have no problem.

yup

using water from your existing system is not enough. you need the live rock that houses the majority of the nitrifying bacteria in there to convert the NH3/NO2 to NO3.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
kpax

kpax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pull some chunks of LR out of my main and put it in there. I did fill 1/2 of the tank with water from my main tank and 1/2 new. I'll keep you posted but everything is still on the level as of tonight's tests.

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kpax said:
I'll pull some chunks of LR out of my main and put it in there. I did fill 1/2 of the tank with water from my main tank and 1/2 new. I'll keep you posted but everything is still on the level as of tonight's tests.

right, you wont see any levels start to go up until something (fish/invert/coral) dies, or produces a waste that adds NH3 into your tank. when that does happen, it will happen in a big way without an abundent supply of nitrifying bacteria in sufficient quantities, NH3/NO2 will quickly rise to toxic levels the corals can't tollerate (the corals can only take very little NH3 and NO2).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back