Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I frag my corals just before my lights turn off before night, just after at night.

OR

Should I frag just as the lights come on in the morning or before they come on in the morning? About to get messy so I’m curious as to what’s less stress and provides them the best rate of success.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked at a Coral Shop for 5yrs, I frag'ed when the Boss told me to.

Time of day, tank light cycle is a non-issue.

What does matter is once frag'ed, the coral needs some time to heal in lower light. So choose a spot in the tank where it only get indirect light. Also helpful to dose some Iodide (not Iodine) to help with healing of tissue

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time of day doesn't matter. And I don't quite agree with the previous post about low light. My frag tanks are outside in direct sunlight. Sunlight grows and heals faster than any other light. I've been fragging corals outside in the sun and leaving them in the sun to heal and grow without any issue.

Dave B

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I just slice em and dice em whenever I have the time. I just put frags near the original colony and they’ve always healed up fine. Less than 1% failure on my frags so far and there’ve been a couple hundred now. Take out of the tank, chop, glue, back in the tank for at least a week to heal, post em up for sale/trade!

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time of day doesn't matter. And I don't quite agree with the previous post about low light. My frag tanks are outside in direct sunlight. Sunlight grows and heals faster than any other light. I've been fragging corals outside in the sun and leaving them in the sun to heal and grow without any issue.

Dave B
Interesting interesting, I’d think with less factors of potential stress they would heal better and faster. Or like how we sleep to fight of injury. How do you have a tank under sun exposure? Just curious??

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I just slice em and dice em whenever I have the time. I just put frags near the original colony and they’ve always healed up fine. Less than 1% failure on my frags so far and there’ve been a couple hundred now. Take out of the tank, chop, glue, back in the tank for at least a week to heal, post em up for sale/trade!
Don’t get too excited lol just some torches atm :p;Bookworm;Drool

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get too excited lol just some torches atm :p;Bookworm;Drool
“Don’t get too excited it’s just some torches” DUDE. TORCHES!

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Don’t get too excited it’s just some torches” DUDE. TORCHES!
Torch gang, not me behind on tank maintenance LOL
E5C71805-5639-4F15-8E17-DE358D46D1F0.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave B
Lol, just on this note. I visited a coral repatriation farm once that was outside and was surprised by how 'low-tech' it was. No temperature control or anything. No water filtration, not really. No monitoring of parameters either really. Everything was infested by aiptasia, and there were no special lights or canopy or whatever, just a bit of netting above to somewhat limit light and fragging yeah was just done whenever. The lass there said all she did was swim around and collect coral fragments that would otherwise probably not survive and bring them in to let them grow over a few months before transplanting them back into the reef. Sometimes she split hard corals into multiple pieces, depending on how much of it there was and how much they wanted to spread them around. And yes, the massive amount of aiptasia was allegedly super normal for that area.

I was just like.

Well okay then.

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, just on this note. I visited a coral repatriation farm once that was outside and was surprised by how 'low-tech' it was. No temperature control or anything. No water filtration, not really. No monitoring of parameters either really. Everything was infested by aiptasia, and there were no special lights or canopy or whatever, just a bit of netting above to somewhat limit light and fragging yeah was just done whenever. The lass there said all she did was swim around and collect coral fragments that would otherwise probably not survive and bring them in to let them grow over a few months before transplanting them back into the reef. Sometimes she split hard corals into multiple pieces, depending on how much of it there was and how much they wanted to spread them around. And yes, the massive amount of aiptasia was allegedly super normal for that area.

I was just like.

Well okay then.
Dang do you have any pics? That’s kinda mind blowing but yeah sounds pretty hypocritical to the points pushed in the hobby. I’d love to see something like that I don’t even doubt it for a second. That’s super sick.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang do you have any pics? That’s kinda mind blowing but yeah sounds pretty hypocritical to the points pushed in the hobby. I’d love to see something like that I don’t even doubt it for a second. That’s super sick.
Dang, should have taken photos. XD

But I did find their webpage! https://www.daydreamisland.com/eco-tourism

I tried to look at the vids to see if the aiptasia is visible, but the resolution is too low lol.

Check out their second pic, this one: https://cdn.galaxy.tf/unit-media/tc.../hotel_gallery/001/594/213/coral-2-square.jpg

You can see heaps of aiptasia below the disk. Imagine that, but throughout their raceways.

Islandvib3s

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on what your fragging,some are easier when they're fully opened up.also just a side note if your gonna go with superglue make sure the glue has cured before sitting in main tank,its reef safe but not fish safe. I lost 3 clowns because I didn't let the glue fully harden before I put them on a frag rack in my main tank.the gel superglue actually hardens in water so have a tub with maybe a frag rack inside it for them to harden.

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on what your fragging,some are easier when they're fully opened up.also just a side note if your gonna go with superglue make sure the glue has cured before sitting in main tank,its reef safe but not fish safe. I lost 3 clowns because I didn't let the glue fully harden before I put them on a frag rack in my main tank.the gel superglue actually hardens in water so have a tub with maybe a frag rack inside it for them to harden.
Haha thanks I’ve dragged tons of zoas and lots of lps before so the superglue was definitely something I’ve researched but I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll see how they hold, I’ll put some pics up after my class when the lights come on! Cross ya fingers!!
I was a little worried about fragging until I did it my first time. Even frogging torches was kind of a non-event.

Btw, pb&j exclusively live on soft fluffy white bread devoid of all nutritional value! Your username lies!

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little worried about fragging until I did it my first time. Even frogging torches was kind of a non-event.

Btw, pb&j exclusively live on soft fluffy white bread devoid of all nutritional value! Your username lies!
Yeah it’s scary still even with like $1000 pieces, or $200/head zoas. I need a new blade, getting dull.

Maybe when they’re store bought but natural occurring PBnJ’s find their way to a nutritional platform born of natural grains to create a solid structure for growth and development.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back