+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking he's about to be a goner.

I fed them yesterday, he ate just fine. I did switch foods up on them, moving from pure brine to a mysis mix. He was iffy, but ate some of it. I also kept some nori w/garlic in there.

Today, he did not come out to eat, which was peculiar. In fact, I had a heck of a time hiding. He was way in the back. When I finally found him, he looked like he was fast breathing. I tried to feed him pure brine so he'd at least get something in him, but he was having none of it. He is so lethargic, I can move him with my hand (how I got him out to shoot this video)

Help, please!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm thinking he's about to be a goner.

I fed them yesterday, he ate just fine. I did switch foods up on them, moving from pure brine to a mysis mix. He was iffy, but ate some of it. I also kept some nori w/garlic in there.

Today, he did not come out to eat, which was peculiar. In fact, I had a heck of a time hiding. He was way in the back. When I finally found him, he looked like he was fast breathing. I tried to feed him pure brine so he'd at least get something in him, but he was having none of it. He is so lethargic, I can move him with my hand (how I got him out to shoot this video)

Help, please!
Fish is listless and has mouth open. Cant really see the body . As these fish startle easily, It may have crashed into object.
How are other fish breathing and behaving (swimming, eating, etc)?
Assure temp-salinity-ammonia had not become elevated. These guys are susceptible to flukes and may be gill flukes in which rapid breathing, lethargic behavior and lack of appetite are tell-tale signs.
Any yawning effect from fish ?

Need better video with glass cleaned so I can see body for signs of disease or other issues

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that it might have hit the tank wall or some other injury.

Any other fish in the tank?
Are they all symptom-free?

jay

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that it might have hit the tank wall or some other injury.

Any other fish in the tank?
Are they all symptom-free?

jay
Here's another video.

Every other fish (3 PJ Cardinal, 1 Clown, 1 Filefish) are doing fine. I'm running Ammonia right now. All other params are normal, though.

Ammonia is zero :-/

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another video.

Every other fish (3 PJ Cardinal, 1 Clown, 1 Filefish) are doing fine. I'm running Ammonia right now. All other params are normal, though.

While it might be a strike injury, I always wonder in these cases, why the fish doesn't show damage on its snout from hitting something?

The fish seems a bit thin in this video.....

Jay

Avast
OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it might be a strike injury, I always wonder in these cases, why the fish doesn't show damage on its snout from hitting something?

The fish seems a bit thin in this video.....

Jay

I was the guy who didn't know better and was feeding the whole tank only brine. I was switching to mysis this week and added in nori with garlic (from the LFS). He absolutely demolished a bunch of my hair algae and bubble algae, and has been kinda "meh" over the new food. He loved that brine shrimp :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..... I'm not sure what to do with him. I have no means to euthanize him, but then again....I'm not a doc enough to know he's for sure going to die. Do I just let him die and pull him out when he passes?

This is the worst.
Really sorry.

Here is a post I made on fish euthanasia:

Jay

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back