Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fowler tank has ich. I have no inverts. I have some macroalgae. What are my options to qt the display? I heard hyposalinity maintained for 30 days can help at 1.009. I've also heard chloroquine phosphate can be used. I have a 8'x2'x2 tank

Stock list:

1. Achilles tang
2. Gem tang
3. Sohal tang
4. Powder blue
5. 3 hippo tangs
6. Kole tang
7. Sailfin tang
8. Naso tang
9. Diamond goby
10. Radiant wrasse

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would dose that tank with chloroquine - it will kill off all of the algae, and probably cause an ammonia spike. Even hyposalinity may cause a die off of the macro algae, depending on the species. I would hand pluck as much as you can prior to going hypo. Here is a thread I started on hyposalinity:

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post some pics to confirm ich. Copper in a qt tank is best, but hyposalinity can work as well if you aren’t able to qt. The macro will die in the hypo, so be sure to move that into a separate tank for 60 days to eliminate ich.
20230218_112846.jpg

Two white spots can clearly be seen on the achilles.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 3028339

Two white spots can clearly be seen on the achilles.
Assure this is ich as it can be grains of sand that will stick to them. Quarantine will be most effective BUT.. . . . see if the dots are the same or have increase over the next 12-24 hours.
Any additional photos you post, please do them under white lighting (minus blue)
If dots grow, you have to decide Hypo or coppersafe which would be effective treatment and done in quarantine unless macroalgae is no longer desired

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assure this is ich as it can be grains of sand that will stick to them. Quarantine will be most effective BUT.. . . . see if the dots are the same or have increase over the next 12-24 hours.
Any additional photos you post, please do them under white lighting (minus blue)
If dots grow, you have to decide Hypo or coppersafe which would be effective treatment and done in quarantine unless macroalgae is no longer desired
If I take macroalgae out to keep it alive when can I put it back in refugium?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I take macroalgae out to keep it alive when can I put it back inn

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I take macroalgae out to keep it alive when can I put it back inn
After assurance there is no trace of copper by doing a copper test

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have ich in a small 25 gallon system. I was advised to raise tank temp to 80 or 82 degrees F. Ink Bird is set to 81.5. It appears to be working. The fish look much better. I understand that this is ich management and not eradication.
That is correct as higher yemp speeds up the treatment cycle mainly when done in conjunction with meds

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take macroalgae out to keep it alive when can I put it back in refugium?

It would need to be isolated from all fish for at least 60 days, else it could bring ich back into the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The spots have increased and spread on the fish. I will start switching out with rodi water until I hit 1.009. What is the best solution for a pH buffer? I plan to go hypo for 30 days God willing. Will keep updates here as I go in case it helps someone in the future. Thanks everyone

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots have increased and spread on the fish. I will start switching out with rodi water until I hit 1.009. What is the best solution for a pH buffer? I plan to go hypo for 30 days God willing. Will keep updates here as I go in case it helps someone in the future. Thanks everyone

You may not need to buffer the water. Just measure the pH every day or so. As long as it is above 7.6 or 7.7, you don't need to worry. At 7.4 or so, you could add a bit of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but really, as long as the tank has good aeration to keep the CO2 level down, your pH should be o.k. for the duration of the hypo treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have decided to go with coppersafe. How long do I need to sustain it for ich and all eggs to be dead? I have a hanna checker. I'm afraid what I have could also be velvet or both. Copper seems the safest route. I'm using coppersafe and targeting 2.5ppm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have decided to go with coppersafe. How long do I need to sustain it for ich and all eggs to be dead? I have a hanna checker. I'm afraid what I have could also be velvet or both. Copper seems the safest route. I'm using coppersafe and targeting 2.5ppm.
I prefer to run coppersafe for 30 days. Some people run it for less time, but there are risks associated with that. At the very least go 21 days beyond the date you last saw symptoms.
Jay

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer to run coppersafe for 30 days. Some people run it for less time, but there are risks associated with that. At the very least go 21 days beyond the date you last saw symptoms.
Jay
I really appreciate the help. How long will it take before I visibally see my fish getting better? I currently have it at 2.13ppm with coppersafe checked with hanna checker. I also have another shipment of fish coming and wanted to know if any of these fish are sensitive to coppersafe? I will have to put them in at the 2.13 right away because I don't have enough space in another tank.

Some blennies
Cowfish
Emperor angelfish
Flame angel
Lamark angel
Dragonface pipefish
Cleaner wrasse
Tamarin wrasse
Some gobies

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the help. How long will it take before I visibally see my fish getting better? I currently have it at 2.13ppm with coppersafe checked with hanna checker. I also have another shipment of fish coming and wanted to know if any of these fish are sensitive to coppersafe? I will have to put them in at the 2.13 right away because I don't have enough space in another tank.

Some blennies
Cowfish
Emperor angelfish
Flame angel
Lamark angel
Dragonface pipefish
Cleaner wrasse
Tamarin wrasse
Some gobies
Can you postpone the shipment? It is never a good idea to add new fish to a group of currently sick fish - too many things can go wrong, no treatment is 100% certain or totally without risk.
Of the fish you listed the cowfish and flame angel are two that can be sensitive to copper. I’ve put them into 100% copper right away, but both species do better if you can ramp them up over 24 hours.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back