Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved a zoanthid frag from aquasd 2 days ago which is what im assuming this came from and i just found this today on one of its polyps. I have only seen one so far and i checked the 3 of my zoanthid frags which have been doing fine but what im wondering is if they stay solely near and in the zoanthids or are they all around in the tank? And are there any methods of removing them other then dipping and physical removal?

IMG_3790.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved a zoanthid frag from aquasd 2 days ago which is what im assuming this came from and i just found this today on one of its polyps. I have only seen one so far and i checked the 3 of my zoanthid frags which have been doing fine but what im wondering is if they stay solely near and in the zoanthids or are they all around in the tank? And are there any methods of removing them other then dipping and physical removal?

View attachment 2964745
there is also a weird thing on the new zoa frag that seems to pulse? i orignally tthought it was aptasia but im not sure. I might just throw away the frag it was only 5 bucks and its not worth the trouble lol

BRS
OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an infestation of zoa spiders from aquasd, even after dipping. You are going to have to pull them and dip several times until they are gone.
you get what you pay for i guess it was only 10 bucks i figured i would just throw it out which i did. I dont see any more spiders though doe they hide in and on the zoanthids or do they hide all around the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 2964745
Not zoa which are Super tiny but a sea spider which hides in crevices on corals and prey on inverts such as anemones and softies, various corals and even snails. Keep an eye out for any more, eggs and affected coral

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquasd has a history of selling zoas with zoa eating spiders. Do a search and a few threads will come up.
i order torches and eupjyllia from them and even bought one frag from them before cause thye are dirt cheap and ive nerver had an issue until now its unfortunate.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not zoa which are Super tiny but a sea spider which hides in crevices on corals and prey on inverts such as anemones and softies, various corals and even snails. Keep an eye out for any more, eggs and affected coral
I was worried that it could be egg producing... just got done with kh and phosphate issues and was excited. Do you know if there are any good things i could add to my CUC or pest remover to get them?
Thank you very much for the reply

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience if it is a zoa spider, they will stay near the Zoa. Use a light to get them at night. Might need to check every night for a week or 2 but I was able to eradicate mine pretty quick that way.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was worried that it could be egg producing... just got done with kh and phosphate issues and was excited. Do you know if there are any good things i could add to my CUC or pest remover to get them?
Thank you very much for the reply
They are a nuisance and need to be removed. Net if possible or better yet- siphon up with a 1/4 " tube. Its too big to be a zoa spider (its not)

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience if it is a zoa spider, they will stay near the Zoa. Use a light to get them at night. Might need to check every night for a week or 2 but I was able to eradicate mine pretty quick that way.
just found a second on another zoa would that again point to zoa spider?

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a nuisance and need to be removed. Net if possible or better yet- siphon up with a 1/4 " tube. Its too big to be a zoa spider (its not)
I just found another on my zoa and the photo was taken in 15x on my phone it was veryyyy small just wanted to get a good photo

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just found a second on another zoa would that again point to zoa spider?
Either way you want them out... and the treatment is the same.... I had a really long set of tongs that worked great for picking them out. Basically if you get the adults they cannot make more eggs....

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks to be honest but in the end was on the easier side to deal with for me. Although I find them very creepy.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way you want them out... and the treatment is the same.... I had a really long set of tongs that worked great for picking them out. Basically if you get the adults they cannot make more eggs....
I got coral rx on the way to dip the zoas and i stay up pretty late usually. Are the eggs small and white?
Do they favor and should i only check fthem or should i check all?
Thank you very much for the help and reply

Top Shelf Aquatics

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had them they seemed to favor whatever was the most expensive haha. But they seemed to stay near the one I originally found them on, however that is just my experience. I never saw any eggs but I think they can lay them inside the zoa itself. I would just to be safe check them all, good luck.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had them they seemed to favor whatever was the most expensive haha. But they seemed to stay near the one I originally found them on, however that is just my experience. I never saw any eggs but I think they can lay them inside the zoa itself. I would just to be safe check them all, good luck.
thanks very much! im hopeful that it was just a few that snuck in from the zoa

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just found another on my zoa and the photo was taken in 15x on my phone it was veryyyy small just wanted to get a good photo
best pics of zoa spider:

1673150824556.png
1673150868181.png
1673150913236.png
1673151332218.png

Zoa eaters generally stay inside of each polyp of a given zoa beneath the zoas mucus layer with best removal being tweezers. Most dips will not work on them.

There is a pacific version which is a little larger. Does it look like this ?
1673151301556.png

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

GHL Advanced Technology
Back