Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://preview.redd.it/whr2ly6llcp...ed&s=5de4e9f5a40a52e071ae3761a0bf8c80845decc0

Seen this guy today and don't know what he is. I did add some new corals recently (Hammers, torch, and some zoas) but they were all dipped. The mushroom in the picture has been in my tank, he must have worked his way over to it. Trying to figure out if I need to get rid of it.
It looks to me like a "ninja star" snail (Lithopoma phobium), which is a beneficial algae eater.
Can you tell if it is hard or soft? Is it rigid or do the points move independently from the body like a starfish?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like a "ninja star" snail (Lithopoma phobium), which is a beneficial algae eater.
Can you tell if it is hard or soft? Is it rigid or do the points move independently from the body like a starfish?
It looks a little like an asterina star as well - BUT - as @Soren said - it seems to look more snail like. Either one would be harmless

OP
OP
K

Killermanjarro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its pretty rigid. I think you're right about it being a ninja star snail. Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that its harmless, love a free clean up crew member.
They are one of the best herbivores from what I've read about them and based on costs to purchase them. They are as efficient at eating algae as Astrea (Lithopoma tectum) snails and also have the ability to flip themselves back over if turned upside down.
They also have the added benefit of an interesting appearance with the star shape.

My future clean-up crew orders are likely to include them for each of my tanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of the best herbivores from what I've read about them and based on costs to purchase them. They are as efficient at eating algae as Astrea (Lithopoma tectum) snails and also have the ability to flip themselves back over if turned upside down.
They also have the added benefit of an interesting appearance with the star shape.

My future clean-up crew orders are likely to include them for each of my tanks.
Interesting - I didn't know you could order them. Of course my Harlequin wrasse would kill all of them within 6 hours - but its a thought.

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back