Found this hitchhiker in my tank what is it?

amigo003

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking through my tank at night, I came across this thing. It looks kinda like a snail, however I did not buy this thing. It has a hole in the back of the shell, and a white line that goes from the front to the back. I didn’t want to remove it before I know what I’m dealing with.

does anyone know what this is?

0F464A52-ABE0-48A9-9EA8-D73B8CE0F2AA.jpeg 8CB05329-8D36-4AA3-90F4-75E4DB6BE1FE.jpeg

Avast

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cowrie with its mantle fully pulled up. If it's a hitchhiker, could be a deer cowrie. I don't know the distribution of money cowries, but I've purchased those for my tanks. Should check in on it, because I'm not sure that all cowries are reef safe, but if they are, then great find! FYI, if you catch it with the mantle down and it has a gold ring around a white shell, that's a money cowrie.

OP
OP
A

amigo003

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cowrie with its mantle fully pulled up. If it's a hitchhiker, could be a deer cowrie. I don't know the distribution of money cowries, but I've purchased those for my tanks. Should check in on it, because I'm not sure that all cowries are reef safe, but if they are, then great find! FYI, if you catch it with the mantle down and it has a gold ring around a white shell, that's a money cowrie.
So if it is a cowrie, will it eat my soft corals and kill my anemones?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back