Found an interesting looking slug/hare

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this from the stuff my family brought back from their visit to the granny's place by the sea.
I haven't seen a sea slug like this before and thought it was quite interesting. It could swim too, kind of like a stingray.
IMG_20240612_191005.jpg

A short video of it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this from the stuff my family brought back from their visit to the granny's place by the sea.
I haven't seen a sea slug like this before and thought it was quite interesting. It could swim too, kind of like a stingray.
IMG_20240612_191005.jpg

A short video of it.
Unless it has a hard shell in the center and a couple of little antennae/horn looking things on its head, that's a polyclad flatworm of some variety.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, is it toxic?
This one is probably an acotylean polyclad of some variety, possibly a planocerid, but I don't know for sure.

They may be toxic (I know some contain Tetrodotoxin, the toxin found in pufferfish that makes it lethal to eat if prepared improperly, but I don't know how widespread the toxicity is among the different species), and they usually prey on slow-moving or sessile inverts (snails, clams, barnacles, etc.).

It could actually be a pretty cool critter in its own tank, though, particularly with the swimming.
By the way - you can see the eyes in this pic - the two black dots below the large, dark patch in the center of the mass.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is probably an acotylean polyclad of some variety, possibly a planocerid, but I don't know for sure.

They may be toxic (I know some contain Tetrodotoxin, the toxin found in pufferfish that makes it lethal to eat if prepared improperly, but I don't know how widespread the toxicity is among the different species), and they usually prey on slow-moving or sessile inverts (snails, clams, barnacles, etc.).

It could actually be a pretty cool critter in its own tank, though, particularly with the swimming.

By the way - you can see the eyes in this pic - the two black dots below the large, dark patch in the center of the mass.
Thanks, I took it out now. I didn't want to risk it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back