+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, title is sposed to read before**

have 2 lyretail anthias and a royal gramma in a 10g qt which will be done with copper treatment in 2 weeks. It sounds like a good way to treat for uronema and any flukes that may be still present on the fish would be adding formalin to the qt. If my reading is correct the dosage would be 0.60ml per gallon and you would leave that in the tank for 24 hrs. Is this dosage and time frame correct? Then they are able to be added to dt? Is this seen as an alternative to prazipro?

I also have on hand metroplex, prazipro, garlic (almost out) and I'm receiving focus tomorrow I believe so if formalin would be a bad idea here please let me know I have other options. Advice appreciated thanks

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, title is sposed to read before**

have 2 lyretail anthias and a royal gramma in a 10g qt which will be done with copper treatment in 2 weeks. It sounds like a good way to treat for uronema and any flukes that may be still present on the fish would be adding formalin to the qt. If my reading is correct the dosage would be 0.60ml per gallon and you would leave that in the tank for 24 hrs. Is this dosage and time frame correct? Then they are able to be added to dt? Is this seen as an alternative to prazipro?

I also have on hand metroplex, prazipro, garlic (almost out) and I'm receiving focus tomorrow I believe so if formalin would be a bad idea here please let me know I have other options. Advice appreciated thanks

Yikes! The 0.60 dose is equal to 166 ppm. That needs to be dosed no longer than one hour (I usually dose it at 30 to 45 minutes). 24 hours would almost surely be fatal. For a 24 hour dose, the formalin needs to be at 25 ppm. That works out to be 0.09 ml per gallon. All that aside, if you dose with coppersafe or copper power for 30 days, then dose with Prazipro twice, 8 or 9 days apart, you will have cleared the vast majority of fish diseases, with the least stress to the animals. Skip the metroplex and focus unless you calculate the dose properly (that needs to be 5000 ppm in food).

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! The 0.60 dose is equal to 166 ppm. That needs to be dosed no longer than one hour (I usually dose it at 30 to 45 minutes). 24 hours would almost surely be fatal. For a 24 hour dose, the formalin needs to be at 25 ppm. That works out to be 0.09 ml per gallon. All that aside, if you dose with coppersafe or copper power for 30 days, then dose with Prazipro twice, 8 or 9 days apart, you will have cleared the vast majority of fish diseases, with the least stress to the animals. Skip the metroplex and focus unless you calculate the dose properly (that needs to be 5000 ppm in food).

Jay
Oops my bad, I must have misread. It was a thread that mentioned both 24hr treatment and a 45min bath. That could have been real bad:/
Can't find where to buy formalin anyways may just stick to prazipro. Does that not help with uronema tho?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops my bad, I must have misread. It was a thread that mentioned both 24hr treatment and a 45min bath. That could have been real bad:/
Can't find where to buy formalin anyways may just stick to prazipro. Does that not help with uronema tho?

No - nothing really helps with inter cellular Uronema. Formalin is often given as a treatment, but that only works on external Uronema, like seen on seahorses and seadragons. Internal uronema starts inside the fish, so formalin has no affect on it. Luckily, Uronema also isn't very contagious, and is most often seen in the first few weeks of the fish being shipped from overseas.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - nothing really helps with inter cellular Uronema. Formalin is often given as a treatment, but that only works on external Uronema, like seen on seahorses and seadragons. Internal uronema starts inside the fish, so formalin has no affect on it. Luckily, Uronema also isn't very contagious, and is most often seen in the first few weeks of the fish being shipped from overseas.

Jay
Kk prazipro it is ty Jay. Lots of credit to you and everyone on this site for helping me get my fish through qt. Hoping they live for many years:)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back