+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just got 3 (QT'd) Banggai Cardinalfish in yesterday and always saw that they spit out mysis and omega enriched brine shrimp (I assume it was too big for them). I did also add Hikari's coral gumbo in their last feeding and saw them picking at the water column so I assume they're catching something, but not sure what. The guy that QT'd them for me said they were eating smaller bits of mysis and brine so they're eating, just maybe need smaller foods

I went to my LFS and got a bunch of Hikari frozen products: coral gumbo, baby brine shrimp, rotifers, cyclops, daphnia, all products for smaller mouths (since I heard they're planktavors). I am getting my first shipment of pods in on Friday, but I need some help figuring out what to feed these guys.

Any suggestions on what best to feed them with? I haven't looked pellets yet, but I do have the Hikari Seaweed Extreme, but wasn't sure if they'd take them or not. Thoughts?

The only other fish I have in the tank are clowns and they eat just fine.

Thanks!!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just got 3 (QT'd) Banggai Cardinalfish in yesterday and always saw that they spit out mysis and omega enriched brine shrimp (I assume it was too big for them). I did also add Hikari's coral gumbo in their last feeding and saw them picking at the water column so I assume they're catching something, but not sure what. The guy that QT'd them for me said they were eating smaller bits of mysis and brine so they're eating, just maybe need smaller foods

I went to my LFS and got a bunch of Hikari frozen products: coral gumbo, baby brine shrimp, rotifers, cyclops, daphnia, all products for smaller mouths (since I heard they're planktavors). I am getting my first shipment of pods in on Friday, but I need some help figuring out what to feed these guys.

Any suggestions on what best to feed them with? I haven't looked pellets yet, but I do have the Hikari Seaweed Extreme, but wasn't sure if they'd take them or not. Thoughts?

The only other fish I have in the tank are clowns and they eat just fine.

Thanks!!
Mine only eat frozen food, even after 5 years they won't touch pellets and they've gone two weeks not eating a thing when I'm away.

They can be stubborn.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only eat frozen food, even after 5 years they won't touch pellets and they've gone two weeks not eating a thing when I'm away.

They can be stubborn.
Mine are only 1" big, what frozen food are you feeding them? should I take my frozen mysis and chop it up more fine? Was thinking trying baby bring shrimp or something else small like that?

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried live brine shrimp or any flakes?
not yet, only got them in yesterday. haven't fed anything live yet (though copepods going in on Friday). Haven't tried flake food yet, they've been staying towards the bottom of the tank

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not yet, only got them in yesterday. haven't fed anything live yet (though copepods going in on Friday). Haven't tried flake food yet, they've been staying towards the bottom of the tank
That is pretty typical behavior. They find a spot and stay close to it. If you hold the flakes under the water and let them go slowly they will stay submerged and make it down to where your banggai are. Good luck.

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try frozen Hikari Cyclopods. Or you can also get a baby brine shrimp hatchery and feed live BBS. But if they're picking at things then they should be fine, maybe turn off the flow and you can probably see if the eat a bit easier.

Corals.com
OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nocturnal, so you could try feeding them after lights out until they get used to your tank.
I read that banggais are the only cardinalfish that are diurnal. Have you exerpienced feeding them at night and had a better response?

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that banggais are the only cardinalfish that are diurnal. Have you exerpienced feeding them at night and had a better response?
Nit really. I got mine pretty big with my tank second hand. She was already used to daytime feeding and never had to feed at night. There has been some drama with her over the last week and she wasn’t eating. I finally got her to take a few bites by feeding her during blues. It’s probably just a coincidence and she was ready to start eating again but I thought I would mention it in case it helps.

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are only 1" big, what frozen food are you feeding them? should I take my frozen mysis and chop it up more fine? Was thinking trying baby bring shrimp or something else small like that?
Frozen Lobster eggs and mushed up frozen misys when they were younger. Now they eat frozen misys.
I add vitamin and fish oil supplements

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen Lobster eggs and mushed up frozen misys when they were younger. Now they eat frozen misys.
I add vitamin and fish oil supplements
What do you you add for vitamins?

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mine and many ive seen eat Frozen Meaty foods exclusively- no dry foods
small plankton
krill
LRS fish frenzy.

AlgaeBarn

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back