Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. So I've been reading through various forums and am reading different opinions about whether or not to plug the hole in chamber 2 of the Fluval Evo (I have the 13.5g).

Most people say to plug it as it increases water flow through chamber 1. But some other people say that in the case where you have a problem with your ATO, keeping the hole unplugged can prevent overflow. Some people point out that this is a design feature in most traditional sumps, and serves the same purpose in the Fluval Evo.

Looking for more discussion on this. My feeling right now is that unless the flow through chamber 1 is seriously reduced due to the hole, I'd like to have some protection against overflow in case I'm away somewhere and things go wonky.

Thanks in advance.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to whether or not you think the water has a chance of not flowing enough through chamber 1 for whatever reason.
That makes sense. I'm just wondering if people had actual experience with the opened hole preventing an ATO overflow.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I'm just wondering if people had actual experience with the opened hole preventing an ATO overflow.

I haven't used an ATO while it was blocked off, but I hesitate the use of an ATO if there is any scenario where it could begin dumping freshwater into the tank

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used an ATO while it was blocked off, but I hesitate the use of an ATO if there is any scenario where it could begin dumping freshwater into the tank

No known scenario, the situation would be if the ATO malfunctioned for some reason.

SDReefer77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that hole in of itself is enough to offset an ATO overflow.
I wouldn't think so either since evaporation is the only thing preventing overflow at that point due to sheer water volume, unless you keep the fill height in your chambers low, mine are about 1.5 inches from the rim.

Plugging chamber 2 is usually for if you are running any in chamber media baskets and require more flow through your filter.

ReefGuard Systems

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed this plug and it fits perfect: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2863195

1678536602280.png

20230311_061525.jpg

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SDReefer77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there's some variation in the size of the hole, at manufacturing. I've tried two plugs (one by inTank, and I forget the other one), and they both kept falling out when I'd turn off the pump.

Fluval makes running changes to production and manufacturing so some people have the opposite problem and have to shave it down a little to fit.

Mine, like yours, was just a little loose and would normally fall out if I turned off the pump or a snail decided to cruise over it.

Super Glue is all you need, and since you're only running the chamber 1 basket you don't have to worry about accidentally gluing it to the chamber 2 basket and having to separate them with a serrated bread knife because I, ummmm, know someone that did that...lol

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval makes running changes to production and manufacturing so some people have the opposite problem and have to shave it down a little to fit.

Mine, like yours, was just a little loose and would normally fall out if I turned off the pump or a snail decided to cruise over it.

Super Glue is all you need, and since you're only running the chamber 1 basket you don't have to worry about accidentally gluing it to the chamber 2 basket and having to separate them with a serrated bread knife because I, ummmm, know someone that did that...lol
I do those kinds of things aaaaalllllll the time. ;-)

Thanks.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK, so just so I understand ... a CA glue can be applied to the plug, and then the plug can be pushed under water and into the hole? I think this is what I understand from what I've read elsewhere, but I just can't grok it ... super glue smells so toxic ...

Subliminal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I usually take my frags and break them off the drag plugs and put a doll up of super glue in them and then stick them to the rock. It sets quite k under the water.

and my used 13.5 came pre plugged. And I’m glad. I don’t like the idea of water bypassing the filtration.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back