+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 and I'm quite new to saltwater fish tanks. I’ve been doing freshwater tanks for years now but I thought it was time to try out saltwater. I wanted to do something minimalistic which is why I went with the Fluval Evo 13.5 but since I’m new to saltwater I’m not sure exactly what the best stocking is. And I wanted to ask what opinions you all had on it.

I was originally thinking of doing x2
Ocellaris Clownfish. And a clean up crew consisting of x2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, x2 Nassarius Snails, x1 Trochus Snail, x1 Cleaner Shrimp Or Blood Red Fire Shrimp. But I’m not sure if this is overstocking the tank or understocking it. Or if there are pointless clean up crew members that I don’t even need.

I would love to know what all of your opinions are on this. So let me know!

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallons is the minimum. The clean-up crew is not going to do much. Part of it depends on what filtration you're planning. Generally speaking - It does not seem like you're 'overstocking'. I would suggest that if you are going to do 2 small clowns, buy a known pair that is already 'getting along'.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello,

I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 and I'm quite new to saltwater fish tanks. I’ve been doing freshwater tanks for years now but I thought it was time to try out saltwater. I wanted to do something minimalistic which is why I went with the Fluval Evo 13.5 but since I’m new to saltwater I’m not sure exactly what the best stocking is. And I wanted to ask what opinions you all had on it.

Ocellaris Clownfish. And a clean up crew consisting of x2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, x2 Nassarius Snails, x1 Trochus Snail, x1 Cleaner Shrimp Or Blood Red Fire Shrimp. But I’m not sure if this is overstocking the tank or understocking it. Or if there are pointless clean up crew members that I don’t even need.

What you have listed looks good
You could even add fire fish goby but be it known, many smaller fish tend to be jumpers

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 5g I have two trochus and they are algae eating kings :) They can also shake off pesky hermits.

Cleaner shrimp are fun to watch but keep in mind they can be irritating if to corals. They stomp on things and steal food.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a pistol shrimp - shrimpgoby pair. They are both very entertaining (even when unpaired like mine are)!
In my 13.5 I have 5-15 astreas/trochus, 5-10 nassarius, and a turbo or two. I also have an emerald crab and 8 hermits. They do their job very well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have listed looks good
You could even add fire fish goby but be it known, many smaller fish tend to be jumpers
That would be cool, but I’m not sure if I have enough hiding spaces for one. I heard they are very jumpy and skittish fish that need hiding spaces. Also my filtration is not great right now. It’s just the stock filtration that comes with the kit. I’ve read online that it might be a good idea to upgrade the filtration. But I’m not going to do it unless I absolutely need to. But let me know what you think!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That would be cool, but I’m not sure if I have enough hiding spaces for one. I heard they are very jumpy and skittish fish that need hiding spaces. Also my filtration is not great right now. It’s just the stock filtration that comes with the kit. I’ve read online that it might be a good idea to upgrade the filtration. But I’m not going to do it unless I absolutely need to. But let me know what you think!
Upgrade at least return pump and a screen is an insurance policy

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
10 gallons is the minimum. The clean-up crew is not going to do much. Part of it depends on what filtration you're planning. Generally speaking - It does not seem like you're 'overstocking'. I would suggest that if you are going to do 2 small clowns, buy a known pair that is already 'getting along'.
I’m sending you a pm

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a pair of clowns. I hate clowns in small tanks with other fish, when they age they become murder machines. Get a blenny or goby in there! Or even a Possum wrasse if you can find one. I love the nano fish and if you don’t limit yourself to two aggressors then you have an entire world of nano fish and inverts out there :)

Upvote 0

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would do 2 clowns like you said, the nassarius snails are good, and you can go with either the cleaner shrimp or the blood fire shrimp, I think I would go with the cleaner because they do a lot of maintance around the tank. The rest is up to you, it's all your preference

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

C559DD87-67F8-41C8-B724-923C57C870AF.jpeg
Here is the tank, took this picture when it was cycling. I don’t got a better picture, sorry folks.

Upvote 0
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back