Fluval 15 Flex Build

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! This will be about my 6th build overall, but the first I will be starting and completing on a thread! This will be my office tank.
Previous builds include:
  • 14 Gallon BioCube
  • 29 Gallon BioCube
  • 90 Gallon FOWLR
  • 65 Gallon Mixed Reef
  • 13.5 Fluval Evo
I have everything ordered and on the way, will update with pictures as I move forward.
Here are the items I have ordered so far:
  • White Fluval Flex 15
  • Noopsyche K7 Mini 60 Watt
  • Custom Acrylic Hood
  • Media Basket for Chamber 2
  • IM Nano Skimmer
  • IM UV Sterilizer
  • 20 Pound Bimini Pink Sand
  • Live Rock Curing in my 65 Gallon Sump
  • Other Dry Rock
  • BRS Self Leveling Mat
Now this is where I am at a loss, not sure on what type of tank I specifically want. My 65 gallon already has RBT anemones (1 has split into 6 in the past year), with a pair of cinnamon clowns, spanish hogfish, snowflake eel, fairy wrasse, fire fish and a few damels left over.

Anyone have any success keeping smaller/dwarf lions or another single type of predator fish/invert? I have always wanted a mantis shrimp but I refuse to do it in this tank, the glass worries me.

Any advice on stocking is welcomed! I plan to have this cycling by the end of next week.

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 9.18.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 9.18.53 AM.png

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- 6 tanks! Can’t wait to see how this one goes! I see a few other people with mantis shrimp and all I can think is…. What if they punch the glass :loudly-crying-face:

Love the lid!!! Where did you order it from?
Thanks!! Only the 65 gallon is still running, we had a lot of moves and I would break down tank, then set up new one, etc. 65 gallon has been up for about 3 years now!

I got the lid on Etsy, From Lid Propz, they make them for a lot of common tanks

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived today! I am going for a floating ledge set up much like I saw in a video, link posted below. I am not too worried about the back wall not looking perfect as the rock and eventually GSP will cover the back wall. I have GSP covering my entire overflow on my 65 gallon, its a good site, but now the glove polyps are taking them over!

Link to video:

IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see what everyone says about filter media??
I plan to use some chunks of live rock topped with a small Chaeto fuge.
Skimmer in first compartment with overflow and, if needed, I already have the IM mini UV sterilizer on standby.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle has begun!
Here is the floating edge aquascape
Trying to figure out what to put on top!

Any suggestions??
IMG_0110.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 36

BMarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Clawfish,

I just came across this website and specifically this thread, your new tank looks great!

This past fall I set up my first reef tank and I used a Fluval Flex 15. Things have gone well overall, but I am interested to see how you set up the center filtration area, is that where you are using the four shelves?

I am currently using the original setup (Sponge, Charcoal, and Filter Biomax) but am wonder if I should increase my filtration. I am also using the original return pump but I have added a Fluval Sea CP1 power head for increased flow. At this time I am not using a protein skimmer so that might also be a good addition, let me know what you think.

For lighting I have a Fluval Sea Nano light which seems to be working very well.

At this time I have a pair of clownfish, Royal Gramma, and a Blue Damsel. I also have a cleanup crew (snails and hermit crabs).

I am hoping to continue with this tank and start with a few corals in the future but would like to see how someone else sets up a Fluval Flex 15.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Clawfish,

I just came across this website and specifically this thread, your new tank looks great!

This past fall I set up my first reef tank and I used a Fluval Flex 15. Things have gone well overall, but I am interested to see how you set up the center filtration area, is that where you are using the four shelves?

I am currently using the original setup (Sponge, Charcoal, and Filter Biomax) but am wonder if I should increase my filtration. I am also using the original return pump but I have added a Fluval Sea CP1 power head for increased flow. At this time I am not using a protein skimmer so that might also be a good addition, let me know what you think.

For lighting I have a Fluval Sea Nano light which seems to be working very well.

At this time I have a pair of clownfish, Royal Gramma, and a Blue Damsel. I also have a cleanup crew (snails and hermit crabs).

I am hoping to continue with this tank and start with a few corals in the future but would like to see how someone else sets up a Fluval Flex 15.

Thanks!
Hey there. I bought a media shelf for the second chamber. I run BioMax and Chemipure blue with Cheato underneath and upgraded the return pump to sicce 1.0. I currently have a clean up crew, some mushrooms from main display and a deseo lion
IMG_0397.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back