Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two flame hawks 5 days ago and noticed some spots on this one, some white dots around the eyes as well as a pimple looking thing on its body. The other one has nothing on it and also has much more colour, the one with the spots is a dull red where as the other one is a bright red. I haven’t done a freshwater dip yet to see if it’s flukes but kind of looks like them.
FA030624-0821-4E88-B35A-F0D0E40AF1D5.jpeg
9EC80058-FD9A-4E06-B058-B1D07143A256.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are seeing a lot of flame hawks with Neobenedenia flukes, but those don’t cause white pimples, more like translucent gray spots or cloudy eyes. In the second picture the spot right between the eye (which may be an artifact of the photo?) is actually more like what flukes look like. In that same picture, the white pimple is raising the scales up around it, that means whatever is causing that is erupting from inside the fish.
Jay

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are seeing a lot of flame hawks with Neobenedenia flukes, but those don’t cause white pimples, more like translucent gray spots or cloudy eyes. In the second picture the spot right between the eye (which may be an artifact of the photo?) is actually more like what flukes look like. In that same picture, the white pimple is raising the scales up around it, that means whatever is causing that is erupting from inside the fish.
Jay
Yeah the thing between the eyes it just some water on the glass. Should I do a fw dip to see if it has them possibly? And could the spots around the eyes just be maybe from netting it? Should I worried about what’s causing it to erupt from the inside?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the thing between the eyes it just some water on the glass. Should I do a fw dip to see if it has them possibly? And could the spots around the eyes just be maybe from netting it? Should I worried about what’s causing it to erupt from the inside?
Yeah, I couldn’t tell if the spot was on the fish or not.
The pimples could be from microsporidians or Icthyophonus fungus, but these are poorly known diseases with no known treatment. The ones around the face could just be snagged scales from when it was netted - but see how the scales are raised around the spot on the body? That means something is coming up from under the skin.
Jay

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I couldn’t tell if the spot was on the fish or not.
The pimples could be from microsporidians or Icthyophonus fungus, but these are poorly known diseases with no known treatment. The ones around the face could just be snagged scales from when it was netted - but see how the scales are raised around the spot on the body? That means something is coming up from under the skin.
Jay
Ok thank you, I’ll keep an eye on both of them and start adding selcon to the food to boost its immune system and hope for the best. Thanks

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back