Flukes

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to my bi-color blenny breathing very heavy and acting strange. As well as my royal gramma just laying against a rock.

After a bit and watching my blenny keeps freaking out and scratching his side. So I have to believe it’s flukes.

I guess I’m looking for some advice and confirmation of flukes. The last time a new fish was added was over a month ago. And I’ve only added corals. (They have all been dipped). Is the only option for ridding flukes completely is taking all the fish out for the 10 weeks? Can they die off by themselves?

I really don’t have space or the ability to set up a big quarantine tank. I can move some fish around and single out the gramma and blenny into one tank and treat them there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I woke up this morning to my bi-color blenny breathing very heavy and acting strange. As well as my royal gramma just laying against a rock.

After a bit and watching my blenny keeps freaking out and scratching his side. So I have to believe it’s flukes.

I guess I’m looking for some advice and confirmation of flukes. The last time a new fish was added was over a month ago. And I’ve only added corals. (They have all been dipped). Is the only option for ridding flukes completely is taking all the fish out for the 10 weeks? Can they die off by themselves?

I really don’t have space or the ability to set up a big quarantine tank. I can move some fish around and single out the gramma and blenny into one tank and treat them there.
You listed two possible signs and others would be fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, and what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You listed two possible signs and others would be fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, and what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Gramm is hiding/laying on bottom against rocks, did not eat when I just fed. Blenny is breathing heavy and keeps scratching against rocks but besides that normal. Not hiding and still eating. All other fish are normal

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Gramm is hiding/laying on bottom against rocks, did not eat when I just fed. Blenny is breathing heavy and keeps scratching against rocks but besides that normal. Not hiding and still eating. All other fish are normal
Do a water change and add Prazi and dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change and add Prazi and dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Won’t that completely ravage my coral and inverts?

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also sorry, can you explain this in more of novice terms.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
also sorry, can you explain this in more of novice terms.
Its cut and dry- Add the medication and allow it to circulate in tank for 8 days, change water and add another dose lasting 8 days and add an air stone to maintain oxygen levels

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cut and dry- Add the medication and allow it to circulate in tank for 8 days, change water and add another dose lasting 8 days and add an air stone to maintain oxygen levels
Ah ok I see that now. Sorry didn’t understand the first time. Greatly appreciate the help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok I see that now. Sorry didn’t understand the first time. Greatly appreciate the help.
If you post a clear video of the fish, I might be able to see more.

My concern here is “not eating” is only a symptom of flukes towards the end of an infection.

Prazipro is safe to dose in a reef tank if you dose for the actual tank volume (less than it’s rated volume due to rock displacement).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just able to get the end of one of his freak outs.
That’s pretty aggressive scratching. I’d say this is probably flukes.

One caveat - if fish have flukes REALLY bad and you dose them with prazi, all the flukes drop off the same time, leaving hundreds of holes in the fish. Sometimes, the fish loses too much blood because of that and they die. No way around that though.

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty aggressive scratching. I’d say this is probably flukes.

One caveat - if fish have flukes REALLY bad and you dose them with prazi, all the flukes drop off the same time, leaving hundreds of holes in the fish. Sometimes, the fish loses too much blood because of that and they die. No way around that though.
I’m still waiting on the prazi to come in but just in the 12 hours the Benny has settled down, got all his color back and is no longer scratching. Although the gramma is still very lethargic.

Is there any other problems I should look into that could cause this?

Huntersreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How imperative is it to remove the carbon? I added the prazi a few hours ago and realized I did not remove a carbon pad.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How imperative is it to remove the carbon? I added the prazi a few hours ago and realized I did not remove a carbon pad.
Depends on how fresh the carbon is as well as how much carbon is actually in the pad. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can they come in on coral? All my fish have been qt in copper.
Some species of flukes have adhesive eggs that get stuck to things and move from tank to tank. Other flukes are live bearers and really only move tank to tank on fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
@Shnetts @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 just wanted to say thank you. Followed your direction and my little guy is doing 1000 times better. The scratching has stopped and he is swimming/eating like a champ. I can see some damage where they were, hopefully heals quickly.
Great to hear. Keep up water quality and diet

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back