Flow rate / Turnover Clarification

Obscure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are lots of posts about turnover rates, but I haven't actually come upon an actual clarification how the actual 5x or 10x etc calculation works.

I would love it if someone can tell me if I understand it right with my calculation.

Tank volume: 400L
Tank fill level: 365L
Sump volume:170L
Sump fill level: 142L

My understanding is the following in the instance we require 10x turnover rate:
365L x 10 = 3650L/H turnover rate required.
Meaning I need a power head that pumps 3650L/H, is that correct?

One of the reasons why I am confused is because my current power head is advertised as 6000L/H. It did seem like pretty strong flow when running at full speed, however when doing an actual test of flow rate, it was only doing 1325L/H.

So 3 things come to mind here:
1. The pump is not working as it should?
2. Get a new pump rated at least 4000L/H and try to let it enter the tank in a way that it doesn't blow everything around.
3. Maybe the pump is working right and I don't understand flow rate calculation.

Thanks in advance.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are lots of posts about turnover rates, but I haven't actually come upon an actual clarification how the actual 5x or 10x etc calculation works.

I would love it if someone can tell me if I understand it right with my calculation.

Tank volume: 400L
Tank fill level: 365L
Sump volume:170L
Sump fill level: 142L

My understanding is the following in the instance we require 10x turnover rate:
365L x 10 = 3650L/H turnover rate required.
Meaning I need a power head that pumps 3650L/H, is that correct?

One of the reasons why I am confused is because my current power head is advertised as 6000L/H. It did seem like pretty strong flow when running at full speed, however when doing an actual test of flow rate, it was only doing 1325L/H.

So 3 things come to mind here:
1. The pump is not working as it should?
2. Get a new pump rated at least 4000L/H and try to let it enter the tank in a way that it doesn't blow everything around.
3. Maybe the pump is working right and I don't understand flow rate calculation.

Thanks in advance.
I think the turnover rate is in a day not an hour. There is no reason for the entire volume of the aquarium water to be filtered ten times an hour.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are confusing 2 different things.... there is turnover rate to return the water from the sump to the display tank, suggested return rate is 3x-5x, the purpose is to just return the water to the display tank.

Other is the flow in the tank, suggested tank flow is minimum 10x, and this flow is provided by wavemakers/powerheads/gyres. Although minimum 10x flow is recommended, more is almost always better IMO, I keep my tanks at about 30x-40x turnover.

OP
OP
O

Obscure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are confusing 2 different things.... there is turnover rate to return the water from the sump to the display tank, suggested return rate is 3x-5x, the purpose is to just return the water to the display tank.

Other is the flow in the tank, suggested tank flow is minimum 10x, and this flow is provided by wavemakers/powerheads/gyres. Although minimum 10x flow is recommended, more is almost always better IMO, I keep my tanks at about 30x-40x turnover.
Thanks, understand now about flow in display tank.

As for turnover rate, this means for 365L at 5x rate means I need to push 1825L through my sump per hour? My filtration media brand new is not even keeping up at 3x turnover.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, understand now about flow in display tank.

As for turnover rate, this means for 365L at 5x rate means I need to push 1825L through my sump per hour? My filtration media brand new is not even keeping up at 3x turnover.
Yes that’s how you calculate it, exactly.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back