Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up canisters with Seachem de-nitrate. Seachem says the max flow rate should be 200L/h but doesn’t say anything about minimum flow. Flow the the canisters right now is about 36 L/h. What would be a minimum flow? I can adjust up if necessary.

TIA

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up canisters with Seachem de-nitrate. Seachem says the max flow rate should be 200L/h but doesn’t say anything about minimum flow. Flow the the canisters right now is about 36 L/h. What would be a minimum flow? I can adjust up if necessary.

TIA
I would think that the closer you can get to 200, the better it will work overall (due to more water being exposed to the bacteria in the canister), but other than that, 36 seems reasonable.

Regardless, I'd be worried that you would end up just producing hydrogen sulfide.

Why would this happen? And if it did, how would it escape the canister (in a large enough amount) to cause any issues?

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that the closer you can get to 200, the better it will work overall (due to more water being exposed to the bacteria in the canister), but other than that, 36 seems reasonable.

Why would this happen? And if it did, how would it escape the canister (in a large enough amount) to cause any issues?

Hydrogen sulfide easily forms in areas with little to no oxygen, such as deep sand beds and what not. Randy has a write up on it, and lists out the order of preference that bacteria use certain elements/compounds for denitrification over others. It's a neat article of you want to check it out. I think the main title is about denitrification or on hydrogen sulfide?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen sulfide easily forms in areas with little to no oxygen, such as deep sand beds and what not. Randy has a write up on it, and lists out the order of preference that bacteria use certain elements/compounds for denitrification over others. It's a neat article of you want to check it out. I think the main title is about denitrification or on hydrogen sulfide?
I understand the concept, I just don't think it is a concern in this situation.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like this material is not Sulfur, nor is there any organic carbon being added. I wouldn't expect any hydrogen sulfide potential.
"No danger of hydrogen sulfide production as with sulfur based media"

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back