Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not for the life of me seem to figure out optimal flow for my tank, it always feels like something is being blasted, or I have too many deadspots, or just not enough.

My current setup is a Red Sea 170l Cube.

I run:

x 1 Jebao on Mode 1 at full speed, max power. (Back wall facing front glass)
x 1 TMC Reef Flow 2.0 4000 max power, pulse mode. (Other side back wall facing front glass)
x1 Fluval FX2 return split nozzle, facing water suface on full power (right side of glass facing left side)

Yet my rockwork still seems to cover in algae and crap easily, would I be able to point something directly at the rock work? I feel like this would just blow the absolute hell out of all my coral. However, I have a frag rack that seems to be covered in a fine film of algae every single day, and I bought some new GSP that wont open because it just keeps getting covered in this thin layer of brown algae that I feel is caused by low flow in that area.

Any tips at all for flow placement in this kind of tank would be really helpful. I have enough power here to create good flow, I just need help placing it and getting it sorted.

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me, the solution was gyres. They put out an even flow , and they eliminate all dead spots in the tank that powerheads just cant match.
I've been looking into getting one, but it won't be until next payday now. I really thought two high flow powerheads and a return pump would be enough for a cube haha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can not for the life of me seem to figure out optimal flow for my tank, it always feels like something is being blasted, or I have too many deadspots, or just not enough.

I run:

x 1 TMC Reef Flow 2.0 4000 max power, pulse mode. (Other side back wall facing front glass)
x1 Fluval FX2 return split nozzle, facing water suface on full power (right side of glass facing left side)

Yet my rockwork still seems to cover in algae and crap easily, would I be able to point something directly at the rock work? I feel like this would just blow the absolute hell out of all my coral. However, I have a frag rack that seems to be covered in a fine film of algae every single day, and I bought some new GSP that wont open because it just keeps getting covered in this thin layer of brown algae that I feel is caused by low flow in that area.

Any tips at all for flow placement in this kind of tank would be really helpful. I have enough power here to create good flow, I just need help placing it and getting it sorted.
Often with high flow, you can still acquire algae especially if po4 is high or the tank is at or near a window and receiving UV from indirect/direct light
I have my flow on both ends of tank, one in center and two nano pumps on lower back wall. I have no detritus as I have no dead spots

World Wide Corals

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into getting one, but it won't be until next payday now. I really thought two high flow powerheads and a return pump would be enough for a cube haha.
I have 2 in my 32 gallon. I turn the flow way down during the day, for my clam, but at night its a whirlpool in there. Before the gyres, I had 5 little powerheads in the tank, trying to eliminate dead spots, but now I'm hooked on gyres.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often with high flow, you can still acquire algae especially if po4 is high or the tank is at or near a window and receiving UV from indirect/direct light
I have my flow on both ends of tank, one in center and two nano pumps on lower back wall. I have no detritus as I have no dead spots
I had an issue with sunlight in the morning blasting the tank, didnt notice for a while as I was at work in the mornings and then as it's started getting light earlier it's become clear, so I've fixed that for now. Haven't tested in a while, but this filmy crap that's covering the GSP tissue is also the film algae that's getting on the glass, and is the main issue at the moment.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with sunlight in the morning blasting the tank, didnt notice for a while as I was at work in the mornings and then as it's started getting light earlier it's become clear, so I've fixed that for now. Haven't tested in a while, but this filmy crap that's covering the GSP tissue is also the film algae that's getting on the glass, and is the main issue at the moment.
this filmy crap that's covering the GSP tissue is also the film algae that's getting on the glass
Cyano maybe? Sounds like it.

World Wide Corals

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 mp10 on the back wall of my reefer 170. Like @vetteguy53081 said algae is not always a result of poor flow. I have algae in all of my tanks. A clear acrylic frag rack placed directly in front of an mp10 running reef rest at 75% still gets a film on it. I think you should look at other things for the cause of your algae. Or maybe what your seeing is normal. I feel way too many people over react to a little algae in their tank. There seems to be a trend here (R2R is the only forum I use) with people freaking out over a little algae in thier tank. Everyone wants this beautiful colorful sterile tank. Don't get me wrong I would love one too but for me it's unobtainable and I've come to accept that algae is just going to be part of my systems. Pods love my patches of hair and turf algae :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I run:

Can you post a pic under white lighting of tank with the algae ?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
May very well be film algae and from window light. You can place a piece of black construction paper from walmart on side of tank facing window and you will see a drastic reduction. I suspected there was a window involved from description.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May very well be film algae and from window light. You can place a piece of black construction paper from walmart on side of tank facing window and you will see a drastic reduction. I suspected there was a window involved from description.
I have some blackout curtains that I tend not to use just because I enjoy a bit of natural sunlight in my room, but I've begun by closing those and it's definitely slowed down - not stopped.

I'll take a picture when I'm home. But the best way I can describe it is GSP is obviously usually purple, but it just has this "dirty" look to it, like it's covered in a light layer of crap haha. Brown in colour under actinic lighting. I can blow it off, but if the GSP doesn't open (which it isnt at the moment) it gets covered again with a day. Annoying!

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have some blackout curtains that I tend not to use just because I enjoy a bit of natural sunlight in my room, but I've begun by closing those and it's definitely slowed down - not stopped.

I'll take a picture when I'm home. But the best way I can describe it is GSP is obviously usually purple, but it just has this "dirty" look to it, like it's covered in a light layer of crap haha. Brown in colour under actinic lighting. I can blow it off, but if the GSP doesn't open (which it isnt at the moment) it gets covered again with a day. Annoying!
UV will penetrate the blinds/curtains and shades. Black paper seems to work well. I tried foil many years ago but reflection was annoying.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will penetrate the blinds/curtains and shades. Black paper seems to work well. I tried foil many years ago but reflection was annoying.
It will, but these are specifically designed blackout curtains. My room becomes pitch black with them closed, even during periods of direct sunlight. I know some will get through, but that will be the case for any place the tank is in the house - the least of which in this room with the blackouts down. To be honest, as important as it is to limit sunlight hitting the tank, I don't want to go putting things on the side glass, as I love the side view haha.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It will, but these are specifically designed blackout curtains. My room becomes pitch black with them closed, even during periods of direct sunlight. I know some will get through, but that will be the case for any place the tank is in the house - the least of which in this room with the blackouts down. To be honest, as important as it is to limit sunlight hitting the tank, I don't want to go putting things on the side glass, as I love the side view haha.
I get it. Sounds like good curtains.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back