+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm going away for about 10 days in August and that'll be the longest I would've been away from my 40 breeder mixed reef. Prior to that was about 4 days. I used a sensor ato which worked, but since my tank has a rim, I had to drop the water level to accommodate the sensor at the top of the tank. I like to keep the water level about an inch or so from the top. I was wondering if anyone has an experience with a float valve ato. I was thinking about going that route even think I heard they're easier to fail.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo ok ok. Is it possible to recommend a good gravity ato or anyone would do?
There are lots of the market and many DIY options described on the forum (you can do a search).

Ideally, you could have someone check once or twice while you're gone, to watch for issues with the tank and to refill the ATO reservoir if needed. (Regardless of the type, you never want to leave too large an amount in a reservoir in case something does go wrong and it dumps ALL of it into the system...)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had problems with your current ATO? How long does the reservoir usually last? Depending on when you're leaving, I'd hesitate to change equipment right before a trip just in case there are any problems...

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of the market and many DIY options described on the forum (you can do a search).

Ideally, you could have someone check once or twice while you're gone, to watch for issues with the tank and to refill the ATO reservoir if needed. (Regardless of the type, you never want to leave too large an amount in a reservoir in case something does go wrong and it dumps ALL of it into the system...)
Good point! BRS recommends not to leave it full when you're out of town and to track in the weeks leading up to the trip to see the average amount evaporates. They also recommend a lid to slow down evaporation during that time as well.
I go through about 6 gallons in a 7 day span.
Thanks for the tip!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had problems with your current ATO? How long does the reservoir usually last? Depending on when you're leaving, I'd hesitate to change equipment right before a trip just in case there are any problems...
I'll be leaving on August so about 4 months from now. My 5 gallon jug last about 5ish days...6 gallons in 7 days. I was thinking of testing a lid and a 3 gallon reservoir to see if that should be enough. Someone here said I shouldn't fill it up completely just in case there's a problem.

And no, I didn't have a problem with my sensory ato. I just don't like that I have to drop the water level for it to work properly because my tank is rimmed

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be leaving on August so about 4 months from now. My 5 gallon jug last about 5ish days...6 gallons in 7 days. I was thinking of testing a lid and a 3 gallon reservoir to see if that should be enough. Someone here said I shouldn't fill it up completely just in case there's a problem.

And no, I didn't have a problem with my sensory ato. I just don't like that I have to drop the water level for it to work properly because my tank is rimmed
What size tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

GuppyHJD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm going away for about 10 days in August and that'll be the longest I would've been away from my 40 breeder mixed reef. Prior to that was about 4 days. I used a sensor ato which worked, but since my tank has a rim, I had to drop the water level to accommodate the sensor at the top of the tank. I like to keep the water level about an inch or so from the top. I was wondering if anyone has an experience with a float valve ato. I was thinking about going that route even think I heard they're easier to fail.
Does your tank have a sump?

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
40 breeder. Mixed reef. Pretty easy things to care for. Most sensitive thing are 2 encrusting Montiporas, 2 Derasa Clams, and a Stag horn. Everything else like is pretty easy going.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 8

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder. Mixed reef. Pretty easy things to care for. Most sensitive thing are 2 encrusting Montiporas, 2 Derasa Clams, and a Stag horn. Everything else like is pretty easy going.
Sorry, you did say it was a 40 gallon... Poor short term memory on my part, lol

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overfill my Aquarium at the Sump, while adjusting the Salinity to 34 ppt, then let the freshly cleaned Sensor on the Prism ATO Take care of the normal level, with makeup water. BTW, The Light Sensors have been around a lot longer than the use on Aquariums. They were a new feature on Commercial Ice Machines back in the 90’s. I believe Manitowoc, was the first to use them. Never had a failure on them, except for one Restuarant, turned out the owners son was sabotaging them.

Nutramar Foods

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I am going away in June for 23 days! I do plan to have the tank checked on 2Xs a week. I am using a float valve ATO but my reservoir is only a gallon. (I had a mishap when I first set the ATO up with a 10 gallon reservoir because an anemone in the sump attached to the float and called for all the water that was in the reservoir. Luckily it wasn't totally full or I could have suffered major losses.) Both display tank and sump are mostly covered to cut down evaporation so I go through about a gallon a week. Covering the tanks was a big help.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back