Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medusa stage hydroids. They're sessile when adults but have a mobile larval stage that you're seeing that looks like a jellyfish. They generally don't last with pumps and hungry fish and such, so they shouldn't be a problem (and typically you see them most often in new tanks), but they're not copepods, they're actually more closely related to corals (still cnidarians.)

Avast
OP
OP
K

kbsharp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medusa stage hydroids. They're sessile when adults but have a mobile larval stage that you're seeing that looks like a jellyfish. They generally don't last with pumps and hungry fish and such, so they shouldn't be a problem (and typically you see them most often in new tanks), but they're not copepods, they're actually more closely related to corals (still cnidarians.)
Are they harmful? I don't have any fish yet building up my tank with coral at the moment and 2 nassarius snails 1 hermit crab, the nassarius snails lay loads of eggs but heard their survival rate is almost none so didn't think it's any thing to do with them

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are kinds of hydroids that are a problem, and I've seen these same things in my years old tank so they clearly are sticking around for a bit, most people see these or ones like them early in the process and very few have issues with hydroids, so I would say they are unlikely to be an issue or something you regularly see in a month's time.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back