Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flatworm infestation for a while now, they are small in size. I have done flatworm exit twice with no success, and introduce two Melanurus wrasse that Vlamingi Tang killed. Was thinking of getting a Blue Velvet Nudibranch.

Nutramar Foods

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty fragile to water parameters and any aggressive fish/cuc. Its hard to imagine one being around long enough to put more than a dent in your population (I am assuming you have a large tank based off the Vlamingi).

Avast
OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple of pics
20220308_112138.jpg
20220308_112200.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the display is 315 gallons. I have sps frags, do dont seem to bother them, but I can see them all over my rocks. I remove the ones off the glass by siphoning.

Ya 315 is a lot of ground for one of these guys to cover. Just going by experiences I have read from other people they do eat a lot of flatworms, but they seems they can be quite hard to keep alive longterm especially in a tank with anything aggressive.

jfoahs04

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flatworm infestation for a while now, they are small in size. I have done flatworm exit twice with no success, and introduce two Melanurus wrasse that Vlamingi Tang killed. Was thinking of getting a Blue Velvet Nudibranch.
How closely did you stick to the Flatworm Exit instructions? Did you increase the dosage after not getting a response within 45 minutes?

I ask because I'm generally the type to avoid chemical treatments, but FE is an exception as far as I'm concerned. I've used it on two separate reefs and it's worked exceptionally well. On my nano, I dosed less than the recommended amount and it worked almost immediately. On my old, larger tank, I had to increase the amount (I went with their recommended 50% increase) in order to see results.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How closely did you stick to the Flatworm Exit instructions? Did you increase the dosage after not getting a response within 45 minutes?

I ask because I'm generally the type to avoid chemical treatments, but FE is an exception as far as I'm concerned. I've used it on two separate reefs and it's worked exceptionally well. On my nano, I dosed less than the recommended amount and it worked almost immediately. On my old, larger tank, I had to increase the amount (I went with their recommended 50% increase) in order to see results.
I followed their directions as advertised

reefnfun

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a sixline wrasse in my tanks over the years. No problems with flatworms. Also, all of them have been model citizens. I don't understand it because others have nightmares with them.

catiebartholomew

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO IT! i got a bvn and it decimated my acoel population. i need to find someone to lend him out to so that he can continue to eat and live. so lmk :))

as juveniles they has no ability to tolerate even moderate flow. however, over the course of a month or so, he has tripled in size and now actively hunts in higher flow areas (on the glass directly under my return pump). i have not put my wave makers back in yet tho. i ran activated carbon in my filter socks and had no issues with toxicity. highly recommend this method if you can lessen the flow in your tank to be at or below the high end of moderate for a month.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO IT! i got a bvn and it decimated my acoel population. i need to find someone to lend him out to so that he can continue to eat and live. so lmk :))

as juveniles they has no ability to tolerate even moderate flow. however, over the course of a month or so, he has tripled in size and now actively hunts in higher flow areas (on the glass directly under my return pump). i have not put my wave makers back in yet tho. i ran activated carbon in my filter socks and had no issues with toxicity. highly recommend this method if you can lessen the flow in your tank to be at or below the high end of moderate for a month.
I added one, and I have noticed the population now is very low. I also added a Melanurus wrasse.

willisd

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a number of blue velvets over the past 18 months and have spent a large amount with minimal results from them.

I would go melanarus wrasse and/or exit. I tried the leopard wrasses and manderains who are semi-effective but not enough to keep them at bay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back