+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll,

I recently added a Flame hawk to my 75 gallon fowlr tank, and he's been just kinda darting around the tank, perching occasionally then making like a nascar racer around the tank, he then goes back to his same spot...... then does it again. He doesn't look ill and he is eating.
I don't have a huge experience with flame hawks, but in qt he would kinda just perch under a rock.
I don't know all info I should provide, since this doesn't appear to be an illness, but it does seem stressed, so ask any questions that may seem pertinent.
Thanks!

Tank params

ph: 8
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 15-20ppm

AS
AquaCave Logo Banner

FIN&BONEZ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours did the same thing for about a week. Think he was just trying to set up his territory which for them is very important for feeding and what not in captivity. I tried to feed him in the same spot as much as possible which I think helped him calm down. Just make sure he cant jump out while going through this phase.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he's otherwise healthy. The only time mine behaved like this is when I tried to introduce another flame hawkfish (thinking he might enjoy company; apparently not...). The rest of the time he's fairly chill - just leisurely hanging out on a rock ledge or wavemaker.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear! I added extra rocks, and tried to boost water oxygenation just in case. he does like to perch on the heater, though, wondering if water is too cold? But it sounds like hes just getting acclimated, thanks all!

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear! I added extra rocks, and tried to boost water oxygenation just in case. he does like to perch on the heater, though, wondering if water is too cold? But it sounds like hes just getting acclimated, thanks all!
Hawkfish don't have a swim bladder - so they like to perch as high up as possible and survey the landscape. Then when they spot something tasty (or fun to chase), they "dive bomb" it. Mine is always perched up on something whenever I enter the room so he can keep an eye on me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back