Flame Angel and Blue Eye Kole

henryriesett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This afternoon, I bought a flame angel to add to my 75g. Everything seemed alright, then after a few minutes in the tank, my blue eye Kole tang went crazy chasing the angel, and the only way I got him to stop is to put my hand close to the tank. What do I do? Will this resolve on its own? The angel is now hiding in the top corner behind the heater.

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This afternoon, I bought a flame angel to add to my 75g. Everything seemed alright, then after a few minutes in the tank, my blue eye Kole tang went crazy chasing the angel, and the only way I got him to stop is to put my hand close to the tank. What do I do? Will this resolve on its own? The angel is now hiding in the top corner behind the heater.
a mirror

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are like that. Mine usually only chases a new fish for a day or 2 and then gives in to his new mate, but keep an eye on them for sure. Fish can definitely be bullied to death. If it doesn’t improve, you can try moving some rocks around to change the scenery. This often helps with aggression.

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds really dumb to put a mirror, but "reefing girlfriend" on Instagram added an angel to their tank earlier in the week, and the blue tang chased it. If you put a mirror up the blue tang will just chase itself with it seeing itself in the mirror and it will waste all of its energy and the angel will be fine after that :)

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also… that tank is probably too small for the tang. Just sayin…
IMG_4230.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the mirror. You can tape a picture of a Kole to the outside of the tank as well. That'll also draw attention away.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has there own thoughts on fish and the size tank and such. I think as long as the fish thrives and looks happy then it's fine.
Ya, I don’t want to get into a heated debate on the topic…but its my opinion. “Happy” is quite subjective when talking about fish.

OP
OP
henryriesett

henryriesett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don’t want to get into a heated debate on the topic…but its my opinion. “Happy” is quite subjective when talking about fish.
I’m not sure. I talked to people at my LFS and they said it will most likely be good. He has been in about a month and has done well.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd leave it up for a week or so. Now, if the Tang seems overly anxious that a new tang 'is in town' you may want to take down a little early. Then see if the issue has subsided.

OP
OP
henryriesett

henryriesett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd leave it up for a week or so. Now, if the Tang seems overly anxious that a new tang 'is in town' you may want to take down a little early. Then see if the issue has subsided.
So I just added the mirror, and it took the tang about 10 minutes to realize, but he is going crazy at it now. The angle fish has literally swam right next to the tang, and the tang is only focused on the mirror. How long should I do this for? Seems a bit unorthodox, but I want my tang to not be aggressive.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have put the flame in an acclimation box.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just added the mirror, and it took the tang about 10 minutes to realize, but he is going crazy at it now. The angle fish has literally swam right next to the tang, and the tang is only focused on the mirror. How long should I do this for? Seems a bit unorthodox, but I want my tang to not be aggressive.
Unfortunately with the tank size the tang will be aggressive as its on the smaller side for them. An angel threatens its diet anf territory. Either they figure it out or you would need to re home one

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Kole tang is a known jerk tang but generally does settle down. Ideally, you want to pull the kole and place ibn sump or separate tank allowing the flame to become familiar with the new surroundings. The challenge will be, if the separation toned the kole down or it goes right back to the aggression behavior

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of info on how long to keep it there. I read up on this a few months bacl and couldn't find a duration. And I agree, it is a tad unorthodox, ya just gotta think about the Risk/Benefit Ratio.

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has there own thoughts on fish and the size tank and such. I think as long as the fish thrives and looks happy then it's fine.
Blue tangs get a foot. Which equates to a quarter of the length of the tank. Short term is fine but think about that for a second dude

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ways I play tang Tetris:
Mirror
Add another similar size and shape fish to disperse aggression
Acclimation box
Remove the aggressor then reintroduce a week later
Letting them fight it out, monitor carefully, usually the aggression dissipates after a few days but if the victim starts to look too rough go to the last method which is:
Remove the one you like less.

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it for about a day before and had it work. But you can leave it there for as long as you like. I think a few days should be fine. Remove the mirror, if there’s still aggression, put it back.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror always works but beware it creates chaos in the tank and there could be collateral damage.

Definitely invest in an acclimation box for the next time. It makes a huge difference.

Use mirror as a last resort.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back