Fish Stocking Order, experienced mentors please assist!

Nutramar

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a long post because I have what I think is some decent preface information to add to the selection choices. The list begins where it says "The Fun Begins".

I am a patient man, I have no problems waiting for whatever I need time wise or established tank type of patience. I have a little 14.8g coral QT tank up and running with about 10 or so corals in it and honestly I'm having a blast with that little tank. It has corals and a turbo snail in there and they are all doing gangbusters. I could mess with this stuff for the next year and probably be happy so no rush on the big DT if I don't need to.

For the DT it is a 140g display peninsula. I have left plenty of room around all of the rock for fish to go on either side and all around. Tank is 63"X24"X24". I know the foot print isn't gigantic but I do think the way it is setup is technically a little better than the standard tank this dimension due to swimming on all sides. It is currently sitting there cycled. It has a refugium and loads of pods already swimming around. Crazy full with a flashlight in the evenings. I feel 40ml of photo daily to keep the pods happy and growing. This tank is just beginning for some fish right?

04BBB176-A774-4771-8A97-BEF13EC11780_1_105_c.jpeg
433DAD37-31B5-4987-8797-4DCCB9B84C25_1_105_c.jpeg

THE FUN BEGINS!!

Worth noting is this will ultimately be mixed reef. I already cultivate my own pods and phyto.

Ok, let's talk fish.

My favorite is probably the Humu Picasso Triggerfish but that's not reef safe and it's an open ocean fish, no go.

I like tangs, in fact my favorite is probably the Naso tang but honestly I think it's a little to open water for most of these tanks, mine included.

I can easily eliminate some fish. I will group them, if there isn't a space between the fish it means I am selecting one and the list is in the order preferred. I am however very receptive and am interested in some of your experience. Some seriously fantastic folks on here so I'm excited to get their knowledge and assistance.

No particular species order here.

Lightning Maroon or Black Clownfish X 2

Clown hosting Nem

Goby pistol pair. Which goby is best?

Starry blenny (or other Blenny?)

Ruby Red Dragonet Male

Mandarin paired

Would love all three of these below, can introduce all at once and last???
Powder Brown Tang
Blue hippo tang
Purple Tang or Gem??

Coral beauty angelfish

Longnose hawkfish

One of these, not both.
One Spot Foxface
Magnificent Foxface

Flame angel

Ornate leopard wrasse

Copper Banded Butterfly

Regal Angel (Nervous on the reef safe stuff)

If you have gotten this far, I thank you for your time already. I look forward to your input!

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, I'll refer you to my build thread (link to immediate left). On the index page you'll find a link to my current inhabitants list. These are the creatures I've been able to successfully integrate into my system without killing each other (YMMV, just as a cautionary reminder).

Second, in no particular order - just some comments.

• Starry blenny - I'd opt for a lawnmower blenny instead, and wait until your tank has been sufficiently established with enough algae to provide a good food source (at least 6 months).
• Mandarin dragonet paired - again, wait until your tank is established. Remember that the male has a spine in the dorsal fin that you can use to differentiate between the female (male-male or female-female is a no go, and one or both will end up dead).
• Ruby red dragonet - will not get along the the mandarin dragonets (so it's either or).
• Dwarf angels - these should be ok but should be introduced at the same time (preferably sooner as opposed to later).
• Longnose hawkfish - you may want to look at a more docile flame hawkfish instead.
• Butterflyfish and angels are all potentially not reef-safe. I've had pretty good success in that my raccoon butterfly hasn't gone after anything and the dwarf angels only go after acans and blastos.
• Leopard wrasse - make sure you have at least 1.5"-2" of sand for him.
• Foxface - magnificent is the more desirable of the two (but more $$); I have the one spot.
• Purple tang - supreme dick. I have a powder brown, half black mimic, sailfin and whitetail bristletooth. All are low maintenance and get along with everything. @vetteguy53081 can probably advise about the best tang combination(s).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This will be a long post because I have what I think is some decent preface information to add to the selection choices. The list begins where it says "The Fun Begins".

I am a patient man, I have no problems waiting for whatever I need time wise or established tank type of patience. I have a little 14.8g coral QT tank up and running with about 10 or so corals in it and honestly I'm having a blast with that little tank. It has corals and a turbo snail in there and they are all doing gangbusters. I could mess with this stuff for the next year and probably be happy so no rush on the big DT if I don't need to.

For the DT it is a 140g display peninsula. I have left plenty of room around all of the rock for fish to go on either side and all around. Tank is 63"X24"X24". I know the foot print isn't gigantic but I do think the way it is setup is technically a little better than the standard tank this dimension due to swimming on all sides. It is currently sitting there cycled. It has a refugium and loads of pods already swimming around. Crazy full with a flashlight in the evenings. I feel 40ml of photo daily to keep the pods happy and growing. This tank is just beginning for some fish right?

View attachment 3094939View attachment 3094940

THE FUN BEGINS!!

Worth noting is this will ultimately be mixed reef. I already cultivate my own pods and phyto.

Ok, let's talk fish.

My favorite is probably the Humu Picasso Triggerfish but that's not reef safe and it's an open ocean fish, no go.

I like tangs, in fact my favorite is probably the Naso tang but honestly I think it's a little to open water for most of these tanks, mine included.

I can easily eliminate some fish. I will group them, if there isn't a space between the fish it means I am selecting one and the list is in the order preferred. I am however very receptive and am interested in some of your experience. Some seriously fantastic folks on here so I'm excited to get their knowledge and assistance.

No particular species order here.

Lightning Maroon or Black Clownfish X 2

Clown hosting Nem

Goby pistol pair. Which goby is best?

Starry blenny (or other Blenny?)

Ruby Red Dragonet Male

Mandarin paired

Would love all three of these below, can introduce all at once and last???
Powder Brown Tang
Blue hippo tang
Purple Tang or Gem??

Coral beauty angelfish

Longnose hawkfish

One of these, not both.
One Spot Foxface
Magnificent Foxface

Flame angel

Ornate leopard wrasse

Copper Banded Butterfly

If you have gotten this far, I thank you for your time already. I look forward to your input!
This is a lot of fish for a 140g especially with some listed that will grow large
In Order based on aggresion and growth:

Lightning Maroon or Black Clownfish X 2 - Both get nasty and to 3+"

Clown hosting Nem 8

Goby pistol pair. Which goby is best? yellow watchman

Starry blenny (or other Blenny?) 7

Ruby Red Dragonet Male - 1

Mandarin paired - 2 have lots of Pods in beforehand

Would love all three of these below, can introduce all at once and last??? Introducing at once has an impact on bio load
Powder Brown Tang - Subject to ich and can be aggressive
Blue hippo tang 6 - Will get to easy 5"
Purple Tang or Gem?? 5 - Gem. Purple is knowingly nasty

Coral beauty angelfish 3 - Will be an issue with Flame although I have both but also a large tank

Longnose hawkfish - Can be a problem child and will eat shrimp if you plan on any

One of these, not both.
One Spot Foxface = 4
Magnificent Foxface - Gets large

Flame angel - can be nice or aggressive

Ornate leopard wrasse Not sure a good choice with other fish

Copper Banded Butterfly 9

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent so far! I have some revision ideas. I want to see what else everyone has to say but I’ll slim the list a little.
Maybe I need to add some smaller fish for more movement in the tank? Not sure I’m to worried there honestly.

Probably just do one clown fish at that size. I’ll do some more trimming as I think it through more. Don’t want to respond in haste and would love to hear more.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, It doesn't look like I'm going to get anymore input on it so I thank you @blaxsun and @vetteguy53081 for you input.

Here is a reduced list and what I have come up with. I am curious on the order. The Copper banded BF after the tangs? @vetteguy53081 I believe you all because I'm new to this saltwater stuff. I also am keeping one fish that you said I shouldn't but I really like that type so that one is important I believe.

I need to define a final order on these if this is the final list.

1X Lightning Clown
Yellow Watchman and Pistol
2X Mandarin M&F
Lawnmower Blenny
One Spot Foxface
Six Line Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang (I'm being stubborn on this one)
Blue Hippo
Gem Tang
Clown Hosting Nem
(The last two are the first two I would be willing to subtract)
Coral Beauty
Copper Banded BF

I would appreciate final thoughts from the pros here.

Thank you again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok, It doesn't look like I'm going to get anymore input on it so I thank you @blaxsun and @vetteguy53081 for you input.

Here is a reduced list and what I have come up with. I am curious on the order. The Copper banded BF after the tangs? @vetteguy53081 I believe you all because I'm new to this saltwater stuff. I also am keeping one fish that you said I shouldn't but I really like that type so that one is important I believe.

I need to define a final order on these if this is the final list.

1X Lightning Clown
Yellow Watchman and Pistol
2X Mandarin M&F
Lawnmower Blenny
One Spot Foxface
Six Line Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang (I'm being stubborn on this one)
Blue Hippo
Gem Tang
Clown Hosting Nem
Coral Beauty
Copper Banded BF

I would appreciate final thoughts from the pros here.

Thank you again.
Copperband before tangs

1X Lightning Clown 8
Yellow Watchman and Pistol 2
2X Mandarin M&F 1
Lawnmower Blenny 3
One Spot Foxface 7
Six Line Wrasse 9
Powder Brown Tang (I'm being stubborn on this one) 10
Blue Hippo 6
Gem Tang 4
Clown Hosting Nem 5
Coral Beauty
Copper Banded BF

Wolf8895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not a pro, but I had a Powder Brown for 5 years in another tank. It was the second fish introduced. Loved that fish. However when I introduced any new fish I had to blackout the tank and put the new fish in and then after a day or so put the lights back on and he usually didn't notice that there was another fish. Would just swim around like "dang, i slept a long time"

OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband before tangs

1X Lightning Clown 8
Yellow Watchman and Pistol 2
2X Mandarin M&F 1
Lawnmower Blenny 3
One Spot Foxface 7
Six Line Wrasse 9
Powder Brown Tang (I'm being stubborn on this one) 10
Blue Hippo 6
Gem Tang 4
Clown Hosting Nem 5
Coral Beauty
Copper Banded BF
That order is interesting to me. I respect what you say in your posts and upon my research on many other things like food, feeders, and a slew of others I have went with things you have recommended so I appreciate your input. The lightning clown at 8 was a shocker (I know those an aggressive I just didn't know they were that aggressive). Also the six line at 9, I figured it would be just before the tangs with all of the tangs being last. Always learning, thanks for your time on this.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not a pro, but I had a Powder Brown for 5 years in another tank. It was the second fish introduced. Loved that fish. However when I introduced any new fish I had to blackout the tank and put the new fish in and then after a day or so put the lights back on and he usually didn't notice that there was another fish. Would just swim around like "dang, i slept a long time"
I figure the powder brown will be last and hopefully I won't have to add anything for many years after the fact.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the powder brown which we always though was fairly docile went into a**hole mode when we added a raccoon butterfly. I ended up hanging a red net on the side of the tank to ward him off for 24-48 hours at which point he seemed to work out his issues and now the two of them are best fishy friends (go figure, tangs).

OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the powder brown which we always though was fairly docile went into a**hole mode when we added a raccoon butterfly. I ended up hanging a red net on the side of the tank to ward him off for 24-48 hours at which point he seemed to work out his issues and now the two of them are best fishy friends (go figure, tangs).
I've read people do the mirror thing and that can work too. Hoping I don't have many issues. Hope my list and order is good.

Nutramar Foods

Jmcg89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a powder brown and hippo together for 2 years, they were added together and fine for a few months and then started fighting for a couple months but now they get along just fine with only very rare bickering. I added a smaller magnificent foxface about a year ago and neither one pay him any attention and he's now bigger than both of them.
This is in a 180 gallon and theyre the only tangs. I could see how more would cause some issues.
Just my experience for what it's worth!
20230405_111325.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the Sixline wrasse. I got a really bad experience with the Sixline pair in my 420 gal aquarium with a Mandarin pair. The Sixline pair in coordinated attack took out the eyes of my female Mandarin and then just leave her blinded to die of starvation. I euthanized her when it was clear that her sight will not come back.
There are plenty of other wrasses that you can keep without the nastiness of Sixline. Radiant or Melanurus wrasse would be better IMO.
Purple is fine but I would add him last. IMO, Powder Blue is a much better-looking tang than Powder Brown. I had a lot of tangs but right now I really love the four I have. Purple, Yellow, Powder Blue and Convict, for 320 gal tank. n a 140 consider only have 2 tangs and a Fox Face at the most.
I would keep pair of clowns but reconsider the maroon. IMO, they are much more suitable for species tank. They are very beautiful clowns. Black Clown (Blackfoot clown?) can be really aggressive too. Black Ocellaris are fine, but I assume you don't want the common clowns.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @OrionN I should update this, I actually ended up with a tank full of fish from a tank break down that a friend of my father was doing. It was a struggle to get them all in there successfully taking into account the bio load.

So I started with a 140 gallon display and 35 gallon sump. It was sitting cycled and waiting for fish. It had been sitting for about a month I guess with just pods and phyto going in daily. So the pod population is pretty insane really. I still grow and add them along with phyto.

The fish that were just about given to me are as follows:

Two of the black and white clowns medium to large 2.5"-3", keyhole angel 3", medium sail fin 6", medium - large fox face 7", Melanurus wrasse large 4"

I set upo a quarantine tank with some cycled media and put half of those in the quarantine tank and the other half in the display tank for a couple weeks. Then I introduced them all together. All of these fish already lived together so quarantine wasn't necessary but I was worried with the bio load.

So that really sums up my fish list. I don't think I'm adding anything large to the mix. I have since added a lawnmower blend and a mandarin. The only thing I have to add that I could really use is a goby or some sand sifting critters or both. The sand needs a cleaner.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back