Fish Stock for 100G

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Building out a 100 gallon tank. Dimensions are 48”x22”x22”. I’m still trying to nail down fish but am struggling. Here is my current thoughts

2 clowns
1 melanurus wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
4 lyretail Anthias

1 Yellow eye spotted Kole tang
2 swallowtail angelfish

Is that too crazy? Do I have more room? Is there anything I’m not thinking about with this list? Etc.
Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Building out a 100 gallon tank. Dimensions are 48”x22”x22”. I’m still trying to nail down fish but am struggling. Here is my current thoughts

2 clowns
1 melanurus wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
4 lyretail Anthias

2 swallowtail angelfish

Is that too crazy? Do I have more room? Is there anything I’m not thinking about with this list? Etc.
Thanks
I would personally drop the tang, they’re active and will attempt to murder anything after them. I had a mild mannered twin spot bristletooth and he would batter anything that entered after him, even wrasses.

The angels, what species would you go for from that genus?
I’d personally look at Watanabei, they’re expensive but they’re stunning if you have a pair. Or maybe a male Watanabei and a female Bellus.

OP
OP
J

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally drop the tang, they’re active and will attempt to murder anything after them. I had a mild mannered twin spot bristletooth and he would batter anything that entered after him, even wrasses.

The angels, what species would you go for from that genus?
I’d personally look at Watanabei, they’re expensive but they’re stunning if you have a pair. Or maybe a male Watanabei and a female Bellus.
The tang and angels would be last and added together to minimize aggression.
Genicanthus melanospilos The swallow tail would be my ideal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang and angels would be last and added together to minimize aggression.
Genicanthus melanospilos The swallow tail would be my ideal.
After having a Ctenochaetus run round a slightly larger tank, I don’t think they should be in 4’ tanks unless the rock is incredibly open which for your other fish wouldn’t be ideal.
I’d swap the Tang for a Foxface personally, they aren’t as active and yes they can be slightly bigger (not really, I’ve had some of your common Ctenochaetus get 5-6 inches and Foxfaces tend to get 6-8 inches depending on species) but over all, their activity means they’re better suited to 4’ tanks.

I love the melanospilos, they are gorgeous. I’d definitely have them as the showpiece.

Also, have you considered a Blenny?

OP
OP
J

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having a Ctenochaetus run round a slightly larger tank, I don’t think they should be in 4’ tanks unless the rock is incredibly open which for your other fish wouldn’t be ideal.
I’d swap the Tang for a Foxface personally, they aren’t as active and yes they can be slightly bigger (not really, I’ve had some of your common Ctenochaetus get 5-6 inches and Foxfaces tend to get 6-8 inches depending on species) but over all, their activity means they’re better suited to 4’ tanks.

I love the melanospilos, they are gorgeous. I’d definitely have them as the showpiece.

Also, have you considered a Blenny?
So you think a pair of female melanospilos would be fine?
Probably a starry blenny.

I don’t think I would do a fox face with the mild risk to corals. Any other ideas for maybe a larger fish?

If not a larger fish could I do maybe two flasher wrasses?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think a pair of female melanospilos would be fine?
Probably a starry blenny.

I don’t think I would do a fox face with the mild risk to corals. Any other ideas for maybe a larger fish?

If not a larger fish could I do maybe two flasher wrasses?
If I’m honest, I’ve had foxfaces and rabbits with I don’t even know how much coral (especially in coral trays) and I’ve never had an issue. It’s like 1 in 1000 I find to be a risk with coral.

goosemans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betta
Flame hawkfish
Jawfish
Midas Blenny
Candy cane hogfish

Just some fish ideas for you. I personally love the marine betta. I also hear the you can have multiple yellow head jawfish together in the same tank, I might be wrong though. I think you’ll be fine with a small tang, just add it last or put him in an acclimation box for maybe a week or so if he’s too crazy

OP
OP
J

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betta
Flame hawkfish
Jawfish
Midas Blenny
Candy cane hogfish

Just some fish ideas for you. I personally love the marine betta. I also hear the you can have multiple yellow head jawfish together in the same tank, I might be wrong though. I think you’ll be fine with a small tang, just add it last or put him in an acclimation box for maybe a week or so if he’s too crazy
Oh I love marine bettas. My lfs has one in their display. It just hides 90% of the time though which might be too disappointing for me lol.

I think I can live without a tang as long as the angel pair will be okay.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

2 clowns
1 melanurus wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
4 lyretail Anthias

2 swallowtail angelfish

Thanks
Im ok with this list and yellow eye tang is a great algae eater but can be a jerk (antagonizing certain fish especially other tangs)

OP
OP
J

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ok with this list and yellow eye tang is a great algae eater but can be a jerk (antagonizing certain fish especially other tangs)

If you are open to different tangs, you would be fine with a yellow tang which are usually way less aggressive.

yeah after more research I realized even though they are smaller they can be pretty aggressive and swim a lot.

I would be open to a yellow or purple. As the swap.

What about a mimic tang though? Way too big too quickly? Or too aggressive?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yeah after more research I realized even though they are smaller they can be pretty aggressive and swim a lot.

I would be open to a yellow or purple. As the swap.

What about a mimic tang though? Way too big too quickly? Or too aggressive?
purple are worse in disposition and mimic AKA chocolate very well natured

OP
OP
J

josh57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple are worse in disposition and mimic AKA chocolate very well natured
Do you think the mimic/chocolate will
A. Be okay long term at least for a couple of years in a 4' if not longer?
B. Be okay with the angels without getting picked on too much?

Thanks for your help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Do you think the mimic/chocolate will
A. Be okay long term at least for a couple of years in a 4' if not longer?
B. Be okay with the angels without getting picked on too much?

Thanks for your help!
Easily- Mine of 4 years in LARGE tank has reached maybe 4"

chocolate6.jpg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I love marine bettas. My lfs has one in their display. It just hides 90% of the time though which might be too disappointing for me lol.

I think I can live without a tang as long as the angel pair will be okay.
I have a captive marine beta and it is out with the other fish a lot. It hid the first few months then settled in. Perhaps captive is less shy.

I tried two different koles in a 4 foot and they were both ***** to all fish even before them. I have a yellow that did fine. Your mileage may vary.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back