Fish Pictures With My New Camera

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received a new (to me, released in 2014) Nikon D810. I did my first photo session last night with a 50mm 1.8 lens, and am quite excited to tinker with it. I am going to update this thread periodically with progress and welcome any constructive criticism or observations.
DSC_0616-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Screenshot_20241010_002349_Gallery.jpg
DSC_0578-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I am very interested in people's opinions on cropping. Macro photography interests me most and I consume social media via my phone. So I tend to crop way in. Here is another version of the Naso Tang picture. To me, on my phone, I like the headshot better. But on the laptop, the whole fish with bokeh background is nice. Let me know what y'all think!
DSC_0508-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received a new (to me, released in 2014) Nikon D810. I did my first photo session last night with a 50mm 1.8 lens, and am quite excited to tinker with it. I am going to update this thread periodically with progress and welcome any constructive criticism or observations.
DSC_0616-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Screenshot_20241010_002349_Gallery.jpg
DSC_0578-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I am very interested on people's opinions on cropping. Macro photography interests me most and I consume social media via my phone. So I tend to crop way in. Here is another version of the Naso Tang picture. To me, on my phone, I like the headshot better. But on the laptop, the whole fish with bokeh background is nice. Let me know what y'all think!
DSC_0508-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Great pictures!! Following

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I've always been drawn to Maroon Clowns (white stripe). They're just flat out beautiful! Too bad they're Demon Spawn!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that macro works great for corals but I actually prefer telescopic for fish pictures. I find it easier to track fish and at least on my camera the autofocus works faster on a telescopic lens.

Then I just crop down.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that macro works great for corals but I actually prefer telescopic for fish pictures. I find it easier to track fish and at least on my camera the autofocus works faster on a telescopic lens.

Then I just crop down.
I am going to be trying telephoto next. I have struggled in the past with just gathering enough light. But with this full frame sensor, I am picking up much more light. Learning continous auto focus is on the agenda. It seems like that would be very helpful in tracking fish.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe you made great use of an "old but gold " camera and lense set-up.
Pictures are amazing, both hold their value be it the full shot or the tight crop of the naso.
Can I ask why you decided to go with the 810 vs 850 and not one of the nikon mirorless cameras , which would be the z8 or 9 to match the auto focus of the 810?
The continuous auto focus of the z8 which is the same as the z9 brings the added animals and bird continuous autofocus which I believe is amazing,I'm still experimenting with different settings and technics and shifting through different focus options after locking focus ... techniques that work great in challenging bird in flight before I can share my thoughts.
The mirorless cameras do help with better high iso lower noise , yet looking at your shots I don't think u need that.
Congrats on a great camera and lense and looking forward to see great shots.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe you made great use of an "old but gold " camera and lense set-up.
Pictures are amazing, both hold their value be it the full shot or the tight crop of the naso.
Can I ask why you decided to go with the 810 vs 850 and not one of the nikon mirorless cameras , which would be the z8 or 9 to match the auto focus of the 810?
The continuous auto focus of the z8 which is the same as the z9 brings the added animals and bird continuous autofocus which I believe is amazing,I'm still experimenting with different settings and technics and shifting through different focus options after locking focus ... techniques that work great in challenging bird in flight before I can share my thoughts.
The mirorless cameras do help with better high iso lower noise , yet looking at your shots I don't think u need that.
Congrats on a great camera and lense and looking forward to see great shots.
Thank you so much! That means a lot. I really wanted the 850 but it was $1800 used. I got this 810 with 50k clicks for $571 + tax. I went dslr out of habit. I have no personal experience with mirrorless. I have some camera experience throughout my life, but am really just now getting serious. I want to learn and make some mistakes before pulling the trigger on a higher end setup.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures from a photo shoot after work yesterday. I played with the continuous auto focus. I have mostly used manual focus. I would pick a spot with good light and background, and snap fish as they swim into focus. The af-c will take some getting used to, but I like it. It seems to want to focus on the body of the fish, though. I need to dial it in for the eyes/face.
DSC_0696-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_0823-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_0709-Enhanced-NR.jpg

This clowfish picture is a bit of a heartbreaker. The larger female's eye and face are out of focus. I tried to crop the male more front and center. I like the picture because they are close together in good light. These clowns are 18 years old! They seem to have more black in their orange than younger clowns, and it comes through in the pics. I bumped up the warmth a bit to take some blue reflection out of the white stripes, but it is still pretty blue.
DSC_0932-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back