Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish is to many? I’ve been told no more than 5. Then again I been told 9 if they’re small goby fish. Or like 6 small and a 1 or 2 medium fish.

Rn I have a fire fish, green goby, and a hectors goby. I was planning to add like 4 more at most probably.
Plz help.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your fish are small size, so in my opinion you can add more. Not sure if 4 more is too many though. I would add 2 small ones and wait few weeks to see if nutrients are not becoming too high. Also for a small tank too many fish may cause aggression.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a set number. It depends on aggression and territory of the fish as well as things like filtration. Too many gobies and there won't be enough holes for them all to be happy and they may fight or try and escape. I think 6 fish would be about right.

I'd suggest getting different types of gobies or pairs. Gobies from the same genus are more likely to fight. No Valenciennea gobies as your tank is not big enough. I suggest gobies like a neon, yellow watchman, orange spot, Dracula, etc.

You could also get a wetmorella aka possum wrasse or a pink streaked or maybe a royal gramma or other basslet.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no rule of thumb for stocking a tank that stands up to scrutiny. Ideally body mass should be used but it's not practical for most aquarists to determine and track body mass of their fish. A Flame Hawkfish and a flasher wrasse are examples, both are the same length but a flame hawkfish due to it's stouter body has a larger larger body mass. Another variable is individual personality, you may get a fish that is exceptionally aggressive and adding more fish may require rehoming it. If you stay with fish the same size you have now 9 or 10 is possible but finding that many fish in that size range that are compatable is going to be harder.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a set number. It depends on aggression and territory of the fish as well as things like filtration. Too many gobies and there won't be enough holes for them all to be happy and they may fight or try and escape. I think 6 fish would be about right.

I'd suggest getting different types of gobies or pairs. Gobies from the same genus are more likely to fight. No Valenciennea gobies as your tank is not big enough. I suggest gobies like a neon, yellow watchman, orange spot, Dracula, etc.

You could also get a wetmorella aka possum wrasse or a pink streaked or maybe a royal gramma or other basslet.
Ok, thank you. I can add more rock. I got more in sump I can put up in tank. I was thinking chromis, six line, and 1 or 2 more goby’s.

I can always add more filtration if needed.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you. I can add more rock. I got more in sump I can put up in tank. I was thinking chromis, six line, and 1 or 2 more goby’s.

I can always add more filtration if needed.
Sixlines can be aggressive. They are harder to find but a pink streaked or possum wrasse will cause you less issues. They are very peaceful.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna add a baby one.

Babies grow

I personally would not put one in with all those peaceful fish you have. If you had clowns and a damsel then I would go for it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told if I had a damsel don’t get a 6 line then lol. Idk I might go for it.

Ok just keep in mind your sixline may one day decide how many fish you get to have instead of you deciding.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tropic Marin USA
Back