Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you use a qt tank before adding the fish to your display? Being able to slowly change salinity is one of the reasons that I keep a qt tank.
The lowest fish ever came in was 29 ppt and I acclimated for the better part of 3 hours until it matched my tank water. I'm not sure how I can acclimate 11 ppt without shocking the fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a receiving tank that is cycled is needed. right here is perhaps the top cause of initial loss of fish, not cycling issues. acclimation and disease preps are the killers. Jay has said in his forum repeatedly this level of salinity increase needs to be over 4 days or so, maybe 3 tops. sloooow.

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some fish survive a same-day bringup out of raw strength/they get osmotic shock but do recover sometimes/truly stressful/ but this should be a 3-4 day process in a holding tank of some kind, that is cycled or receiving constant water changes. not prime, don't use prime or amchlor for this.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
a receiving tank that is cycled is needed. right here is perhaps the top cause of initial loss of fish, not cycling issues. acclimation and disease preps are the killers. Jay has said in his forum repeatedly this level of salinity increase needs to be over 4 days or so, maybe 3 tops. sloooow.
I figured I wouldn't be able to acclimate them in one day. I really can't believe they keep their fish in brackish water. Must be trying really hard to hide diseases.

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not known acclimation was such an issue until this year. I've spent the last 15 years telling folks cycling didn't kill their fish/ammonia, I just never was sure what was killing them till I started watching Jay's forum heavily. very neat clue hunting for sure. new cyclers really need to know this for sure.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have not known acclimation was such an issue until this year. I've spent the last 15 years telling folks cycling didn't kill their fish/ammonia, I just never was sure what was killing them till I started watching Jay's forum heavily. very neat clue hunting for sure. new cyclers really need to know this for sure.
Do you know what the safe amount to raise salinity would be in one day?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't sound Right, How long since you've calibrated your meter?..

@Eric Cohen

If it's Actually 1.018, That fish should take a few days to get it up to where it needs to be.
Ideally allow your qt to evaporate out fresh to raise the SG slowly.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That doesn't sound Right, How long since you've calibrated your meter?..

@Eric Cohen

If it's Actually 1.018, That fish should take a few days to get it up to where it needs to be.
Ideally allow your qt to evaporate out fresh to raise the SG slowly.
It's right I checked right after I checked the bag's salinity because I didn't believe it was accurate either.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest fish ever came in was 29 ppt and I acclimated for the better part of 3 hours until it matched my tank water. I'm not sure how I can acclimate 11 ppt without shocking the fish.
You can't in a day

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been 4 years, most of you probably don't have a 120 watt uv sterilizer that's ran 24/7.
That would be great, if all of the most worrisome fish diseases stayed suspended in the water.

They don't. UV is a great management tool.

Velvet will laugh at your UV while ich holds brooklaynella's legs up for a kegstand on your 120W UV but to each their own.

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting the thread where Jay recommends the bringup technique one sec

Top Shelf Aquatics

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.018 is lower than reef specific gravity, but I wouldn't call it brackish. It's pretty common for sellers to keep fish in that range of salinity. Really, the only retailors that don't keep fish at lower salinity are those that 'QT' for you.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely not brackish. A lot of stores run the salinity at that as they come in from the wholesalers around that salinity and they can acclimate the fish over days. I honestly don't think they need to be acclimated for THAT long but if you QT the fish it should be easy. If you cant get them into a QT or don't need to (Idk anything about tank stop), then I'd drip them for a few hours in a container in a bucket maybe with a rock or biomedia from your tank to handle any ammonia issue (and also maybe a tiny heater if you have one). If that salinity was truly a problem, I personally know hundreds of fish that would be dead

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back